Nikon contest bans film cameras

clay2

<p>How easy would it be to spot a high quality scan of 8x10 sheet film? Certainly scans of 35 mm film are recognizable because film grain looks different from digital noise. You would have to fill in the exif data. </p>

<p>What does the ban on film images do for Nikon? Over 90% of the entries would probably be digital. Would they be embarrassed if a film image happened to win?</p>

<p>Nikon... bite me.</p>

<p>Yeh, yeh, I'll still review your stupid V2 (assuming you're not actually reading this comment, in which case, LOL, just kidding, pretend I'm <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/analprobe/dissent.htm">Ken Rockwell</a>). And I'll probably even like the stupid thing. And probably even buy the smaller stupid J1 or stupid J2 because I really need a stupid small, fast stupid digicam and those models have some great stupid features at a stupid cheap price now. And I really, really need your stupid lens based VR because of my stupid shaky hands.</p>

<p>But still, Nikon... just... <a href="

me</a>.</p>

<p>There's a new Kodak app giving details about their film. A review of the app described film users as Luddites, which was nice.<br>

<a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/10/26/luddites-delight-kodak-debuts-film-finding-app-for-ios">http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/10/26/luddites-delight-kodak-debuts-film-finding-app-for-ios</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I wasn't going to enter that, but maybe now I'll enter some film scans with the metadata removed and see if they can tell the difference."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Heck, you can fake metadata pretty convincingly. One method is to open a digital camera file, copy another image on top completely masking the original, then resave. I've done this as a prank for a friend (to make their photos seem to have been taken in an entirely different geolocation). There are probably ways to figure out when this has been done, but it's good enough to fool most folks.</p>

This year Nikon has let the other shoe drop. In recent years, MF and LF film was already banned, leaving only 35mm.

When a camera maker runs a photo contest, the purpose is to attract customers; it has nothing much to do with promoting the art of

photography.

There are still hundreds of photo contests every year that have no restriction on film, although many of them are promoting some special

interest through their contests.

<p>Digital is the greatest thing ever for companies like NIKON. Previously, they could only sell me a new (film) camera about every ten years. And I'm still using the ones they sold me 40 yrs ago. with digital, in order to keep up with even the bottom rung of state of the art. One needs a new camera every 2-3 years. after which time the damn things are worth 1/3rd of what you paid.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One needs a new camera every 2-3 years. after which time the damn things are worth 1/3rd of what you paid.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Here we go again...I use two digital cameras that are now over four years old. I get published in print and on the web with them, I print to 20"x30". There is no "need" to get a new camera. Also, one of them, bought new, is worth about 50% of what it cost new after five years, the other about 60% of what it cost when I bought it used three years ago.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One needs a new camera every 2-3 years. after which time the damn things are worth 1/3rd of what you paid.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> Not the way I do things. I just buy an item and use it for as long as it will last. The good value in an item comes from many years of service. </p>

<p>In last year's results I saw dozens and dozens of photos and maybe 2 had mentions that they were shot with Nikon gear. The FAQ also says specifically that use of Nikon gear isn't required. Which makes it all the more confusing - go ahead and use a Canon, just as long as it's digital. Don't even think about using that F6, 24-70 and Coolscan 9000 you bought new last year.</p>