Whats the minimum space needed for a cyclorama?

peter_macejka

<p>Hi everyone, please give me your opinions on the following studio set up.<br>

<br />I'm considering renting a small studio space, and am unsure if its enough space for my needs. The space is 3m (9ft) wide by 6m (18ft) long by 3.6m (11ft) high. I would like to turn the space into a cyclorama, having the full width of the studio (both corners) curved and come out about 4m (also curved).<br>

I was thinking of lighting it from the top, hanging strobe flashes like the Bowens Gemini 200's from a scafolding tube suspended bolted into the concrete ceiling. <br />My main lights would be run either from the same scafolding or from 2 additional scafolding tubes running in the middle of the room. I was also considering running a couple of linear bearing plates with a spigot base plate attached to them to allow me to move the main lights without having to undo super clamps.<br>

I plan on shooting fashion, portraits (still & dancers in motion) and some product shots.<br>

Do you think this is a workable space and set up?<br>

Thanks for your help,<br>

Peter</p>

<p>It sounds like you are looking for the answer that you want to hear. "Yes, you can do it with that 9ft wide space" lol.<br /> I guess this is your first space and you probably got a good deal on it and you are excited to get in and set up your lighting that you have spent hours drawing on paper. Believe me I have done the same thing.<br /> You got some real life answers here and I would take there advice and wait and find a bigger place if this is the main bulk of work that you will do. If you said I only do still life shots, table top shots and some people portraits with some small families then I would say yes but ditch the cyclorama. I have never seen a cycle less than 24 feet wide.<br /> I assume when you say your space if 9ft wide it means before the cycle. The cycle will eat a couple of feet on either side. Don't forget your subjects will be away from the back wall a good 8 to 10 feet with the curve of the cycle and therefore you will begin the see the side walls of your studio. You will now be only 9 or 10 feet away from your subject. Can you begin to see your limitations? Good luck</p>

<p>Thanks Michael,<br>

That's the explanation I was looking for. Yes, I was really hoping it would work because of a good deal. Big studios are probably out of my price range, and I was hoping to have a permanent space rather than setting up and packing up every time I hire a space.<br />The search continues. :)</p>

<p> </p>