Water in home studio?

martin_oller

<blockquote>

<p>make sure your life insurance is up to date ;)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And liability insurance.</p>

<p>As Bob points out, constructing to contain water in a sufficiently large space is very expensive. For a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, it would be easier and cheaper <strong>if you could relocate ;) ;) ;) !!!</strong><br>

1. In Argentina, the kitchens and bathrooms of many houses have tiled floors and a central drain in the center, often with a very slight grade with the drain at the lowest point, so that the floor can be mopped without having to use the mop to collect water. Some kitchens I saw might have been large enough. Ceiling height could be a problem.<br>

2. In Bulgaria, many houses I visited had a tiny room for the toilet, and a much larger one containing a central drain, a shower head, a wash basin, and space to hang up washed clothes and linens for drying in inclement weather. The shower was not closed off from the rest of such a bathroom, not even with a shower curtain. The space for dripping of clothes meant that the entire floor had to be treated (sometimes tiled, not usually) to be impervious to water. The walls were often tiled to deal with splashing from the shower. The ceilings in many places were rather tall, possibly reaching studio-suitable heights.<br>

In both of these countries, construction was normally brick and mortar for single-story dwellings, concrete (not always reinforced) for taller structures, so that the effects water seepage were not as disastrous as in places where wood-framed houses are the norm.<br>

3. Buy a house that was formerly a bath house?</p>

<p>To create such a space in an existing house seems less practical than the suggestions above.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>To add, if you have a little place <strong>outside</strong> your home studio, in the back yard, you can install a showerhead attached to a garden hose wich you can attach to the water outlet you use to sprinkle the lawn.<br>

Then with a few pieces of 4x8 wood and some paint you can create a backdrop and make the final portrait look like it was inside.<br>

i have not done this, but I have seen samples in the photovision dvd.s<br>

And as mentioned please be very carefull with water and high voltage, keep your light away from the water. But you do know that.</p>

<p>There are people who - in large production studios, on sound stages - specialize in this sort of thing. It's very, very expensive. Unless, of course, we're talking about photographing a bottle of beer or something. This is a pretty hard topic to address without context and sense of scale/budget. In short: how, and how often, is this going to be used?</p>

<p>If "implement water/rain into my home studio." includes outdoors, Peter Gowland's website has a few ideas. See here, about 3rd or 4th photo from the bottom: <a href="http://www.petergowland.com/glamour3.html">http://www.petergowland.com/glamour3.html</a></p>

<p>During my youth, Gowland was a well-known glamour photographer, and author of many books on the same subject. He seemed to like building things - sets, equipment, and even cameras, so looking through his website may produce some useful ideas for the DIY'er.</p>