Amateur Sports Camera needed.

s_wainwright

<p>Complete novice here, and I'd hugely appreciate any suggestions.</p>

<p>I'm in desperate need of a half-decent digital camera for pictures of Martial Arts events. Currently I use my phone which is great for video, but suffers hugely from motion blur. I assume I need something with decent shutter speed, but I really have no idea what to look for. The pictures don't need to be of insanely high resolution, they're mainly needed for display online and for small leaflets/handouts.</p>

<p>Could anyone recommend a camera? I'm hoping to only spend £200-£400 ($300-$600ish).</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I'd have a look at the Canon Powershot SX150 and SX40 camera's and similar offerings from other suppliers. If you read the reviews on <a href="http://www.dpreview">www.dpreview</a> and <a href="http://www.dcresource.com">http://www.dcresource.com</a> you will get a comparison between these cameras and others as well. Search for models that offer manual control so that you can decide how to take the picture.<br>

In general a DSLR will be better for sports because of faster autofocus but I'm afraid these will be outside your budget. Perhaps a 2nd hand last year's entry model?<br>

The above are just a few thoughts, in the end also have a look which camera feels best in your hands.</p>

<p>Jos -- Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look. I know it's a low budget but I don't think I need anything particularly special. So long as I can avoid motion blur, I'm more than happy. If you think that's not possibly in my budget, please let me know.<br>

William -- Yes, flash is fine.</p>

<p>You were very quick to decide and place an order.</p>

<p>For a very specific reason: I use a Powershot SX40 HS for sports photography. (I also use a pair of Powershot P5 IS Cameras).<br /> I mention these facts to explain that I am very familiar with these cameras and specifically the uses of them, for shooting action sports.</p>

<p>I believe that you will have your work cut out for you making still images of Martial Arts with any Powershot Camera.<br /> It will be much easier with a (second hand) APS-C Format DSLR which can attain ISO1600 or ISO3200 and an inexpensive, fast Prime Lens, such as a 50/1.8 or a 35/2 – the choice of Focal Length being upon where you can stand to shoot.</p>

<p>Another advantage of using a DSLR is that it will have an HOTSHOE – the SX40HS does not.<br /> An inexpensive 3<sup>rd</sup> party Flash and a White Bounce Card could benefit this shooting situation: that was one of the reasons why I asked about the possibility of Flash.</p>

<p>A DSLR will also have the benefit of a faster continuous shoot rate.<br /> If you choose to use continuous shooting on the Powershot, then be sure you use the selection labelled “Continuous” and neither “Continuous Shooting AF” nor “Continuous Shooting LV”.</p>

<p>The other two major challenges you might need to address with the Powershot will be: the shutter time lag; the slow or wandering Auto Focus.<br /> In regard to the former you will need to anticipate the action, which is easier for rhythmic or prescribed sports such as swimming or diving – but with knowledge of each competitors’ skills sets and style I suspect you can anticipate action to some degree; in regard to the latter, you might find advantage in setting the Focus manually and just allowing the small sensor's intrinsic large DoF to act as an all purpose focus range – you might experiment with that.<br /> <br /> WW</p>

<p>I would strongly advise canceling the order on the Powershot. No P&S is going to work for what you're describing, for reasons others have already stated. On the other hand, just about any DSLR will do a reasonable job provided you learn how to use it properly. That, however, is the catch. It's not just a matter of buying a "good" camera. You need to learn a reasonable amount of photography to get good action pictures under low light (most gyms and indoor venues). Have you considered working with a local photographer who might be willing to shoot the events for free in return for having the opportunity to sell prints to the participants?</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I wrote: <em>"Another advantage of using a DSLR is that it will have an HOTSHOE – the SX40HS does not."</em><br /> <strong>The last phrase is incorrect.</strong><br /> <strong>+++</strong><br /> <strong>The SX40HS DOES have an hot shoe</strong> - as described by Alan in his post above.<br /> Thank you for bringing that error to my, (and the thread's) attention.<br>

This error does not change the view that a DSLR would be better for the job.</p>

<p>WW</p>