Zeikos batter grip for Nikon won't fire in the viritcal position??

john_e2

<p>I just purchased a Zeikos battery grip for my D3100 from BH . When I try firing the vertical shutter release nothing happens. Has anyone had this experiece??? Oh, and the batter cover doesn't seem to fit in the "handy" storage compartment on the grip either. </p>

<p>I don't know about your model, but some of the third-party grips (and some original too, I suspect) don't make the proper connections on the camera. If the grip is screwed in too loosely, this can happen, but the grip just may not be exactly right for the connections.<br>

Try squeezing the grip closer to the camera body with two hands and see if it will work with your third hand. It's not a fix, just a way of confirming that the connection is not made. You may need to send it back, and try another make.</p>

<p>I have Zeikos battery grip for the D700 camera. It works great with alkaline, Eneloop, and other rechargeable batteries, in any position or grip orientation.</p>

<p>The grip also fits the D300S camera, but this camera has 7 frames per second without the grip, so speeding up to 8 fps does not make much more speed. However, increase of speed on D700 is substancial.</p>

<p>With 3rd party grips, mass productiion quality control could be a problem.</p>

<p>I <em><strong>HATE</strong></em> having to buy the expensive Nikon grips for cameras, but I've been unlucky with all the clones I've ever got........<br>

The genuine articles do work reliably and it's surprising how frustrating a malfunctioning grip is...believe me, I've been there!!</p>

<p>One of my clone MB-D10s had a kinda rotating lock switch around the vertical shutter-button to disable it if required..... maybe yours does too??</p>

<p>It seems as if on the battery grip I had for my D90 there was a switch that could be turned (possibly surrounding the shutter button?) that would disable the battery grip shutter release. I would assume this was put in to keep you from accidentally firing shots while the camera was hanging by your side.</p>

<p>Brian</p>

John,

After looking at the grip for my D300s I see that it also has this switch. It goes around the shutter release button and functions as an

on/off switch for the grip shutter release. Have you looked to see if yours has this switch? I can try to post a picture later if needed.

Brian

<p>I finallay got it to work. The solution was: first attach the unit to the camera <strong>without</strong> the batteries, attach the wire cable to the the grip and the camera, then install the batteries, turn camera on. the instructions that came with the grip were totally useless. now how to make the camera battery cover fit in the handy storage compartment that's too small. </p>