focusing screen

evannorth

<p>has anyone tried KatzEye focusing screens? i was wondering how well they would work for me. i shoot a lot of nature pics, macros of bugs and flowers, plus birds. my gear is nikon d7000, d90. micro nikkor 105 afd, micro nikkor 60mm afd, 50mm 1.8 afd, 70-300 ed vr f 4.5-5.6 and 18-105 vr f3.5-5.6. would it be worth fitting these screens or would i have problems?</p>

<p>Katz Eye use Nikon FM3A K3 split screens. Have you used cameras with split screens before?</p>

<p>Spot metering can sometime produce strange results because the spot sees thru the split screen. Center weighted and matrix is more or less the same as with the stock screen. The viewfinder might be a tiny bit darker than usual but you will not notice it. Other than that everything works as usual, except that it is easier to see what is in focus and what's not.</p>

<p>I don't think split screens are that good for macro though. Better to have a solid matte surface without the split, like Canons EE-S screen. You can buy that type of screen for your D7000 <a href="http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_116&products_id=1153">here</a>.</p>

<p>Another thing you might think about is that with the stock focusing screen in your camera you can't see exactly what is in focus or not but with a split screen you will see exactly what is in focus. That also means that you will see when the focusing screen is not in 100% agreement with AF and with the image. So after you have installed the new screen in the camera it is possible that the focusing screen needs to be calibrated. It's done by adjusting the mirror stops but when that is done the camera's AF calibration is also changed so it need to be recalibrated. So it's best to have the camera with the new screen calibrated at one of Nikon's authorized service centers. That might be an additional cost to the screen itself.</p>

<p>That said, I think it is worth it if you want to verify that the AF is locked on to the right thing or focus manually. Since I use a lot of manual focus lenses and like to see what AF is up to I replace the screen in every camera I buy.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Another thing to keep in mind is that the split screen might go black when looking through the lens at large apertures. Usually not a problem but if you use extension tubes it might be.</p>

<p>Some screens like the Canon EE-S are also optimized for lenses that are f/2.8 or faster. So they become a darker as the aperture is smaller. It's a trade of between having a bright viewfinder and having an accurate viewfinder. I see you have some slower consumer zooms so keep that in mind if you get an EE-S screen or something similar.</p>

<p>Anyone have any experience with changing out the focus screen in the D7000? How hard is it? It sounds like a split focus screen or a different style? could be good for macro work or other work when you are manual focusing but it would be nice to switch back to the default screen for general purpose stuff when you want autofocus to work.</p>

<p>I have a D7000 as well and I would like a way to make manual focusing easier. I am used to using my Canon AE-1 Program which I believe has a split focus screen in it. </p>

Katz Eye will make an all-matte screen if you ask - contact them before ordering to discuss the matter. I've used one with my old Pentax K20D to give accurate focussing with a Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.4 macro, wide open at 1:1. Katz Eye can also advise how to replace the focussing screen, or will do it for you at extra cost if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

<p>I recently installed the KatzEye in my D7000. As long as you are comfortable with small mechanical repairs and have a steady hand, you should have no problem. Cleanliness is essential to prevent debris being trapped behind the screen.</p>

<p>I was at times frustrated coordinating my manual focus lenses with the autofocus "green dot" assist; with the KatzEye I now see that there are situations where the autofocus does not work well. It has only been a week or so since I have made the installation so I don't entirely know how useful this screen will be, but I come from a manual focus world so I welcome this familiar aid. I would caution against using slower lenses, in lower light (indoors, daylight thru windows) the split image starts to black out with my f2.8 lenses. This is not what I'm used to with my F3, I'm thinking it's the difference between full-frame and DX viewfinder size. KatzEye does make a "bright" version if most of your lenses are slower. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have used them in 2 Nikon DSLRs and find them very helpful.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Spot metering can sometime produce strange results because the spot sees thru the split screen.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This has not been my experience</p>

<p> </p>