Film Developing

hopalonghowie

<p>All you need is a sink, really.</p>

<p>If you have a local camera store, go buy the stuff from them.<br /> You will need a "changing bag" (which any film user should have anyway in case the film breaks inside the camera or whatever). Think of this as your "bag of dark".<br /> Get some 35mm <em>daylight</em> developing tanks. You will load these inside the changing bag, close them up and the rest of the operation can be done in bright lights.</p>

<p>Of course, you will also need chemicals (D-76) and such like, but that's not what you asked.</p>

<p>The local library will almost certainly have some old photo textbooks that will detail how to load the film, and other similar topics.</p>

<p>Fitting in an enlarger is another thing altogether, but old photo magazines had regular articles on how to rig a half-bath into a full darkroom with folding enlargers and all. I personally recommend a film scanner.</p>

<p>Alternatively, if you still have C-41 chemistry processing locally, consider just shooting either color negative or "chromogenic" B&W (also C-41) film and take it in for processing and scanning. You won't have much luck finding anyone who will do real B&W emulsions.</p>

<p>Even if you send the film out for processing, most places really would prefer to do C-41 to digging out the D-76 or whatever, and I think prices reflect that.</p>

<p>Thanks JDM loved my last AE-1 which was a tank but was stolen from my car back in 1991 and when I started looking for another film camera to replace my Minolta that got pilfered from a motel room last year I decided I was going to get either a Nikon F or an AE-1. Been awhile since I've processed film myself but I think my bathroom would be suitable just need to get some tanks and chemicals.</p>

<p>And yes a motor drive is on my list along with a flash unit but I wonder if the flash I use on my T3i will work with it.</p>

<p>Howard - Due to space and the fact that I hate reels and changing bags, I use a Rondinax tank (find used ones on the big auction site), which doesn't require you to do anything in the dark, and it takes only 7 oz of solution to develop a reel.</p>

As JDM says scanning is better than an enlarger if you are short on space. I always scan colour print or slide with my

Nikon scanners. With black and white however I have never been happy with my scans (it may be my technique) and still

do them wet with an enlarger. That said I batch them and dust the enlarger off infrequently.

<p>Get Canon's Motor Drive MA - they can be had cheaply on ebay. If you don't like the heft of that motor, the Power Winder A2 is a good alternative and makes the camera nice to hold without taking 12 (!) AA's. These OEM motors are so inexpensive, I wouldn't even bother getting an aftermarket model if i were you.<br>

I just started shooting film again myself (AE-1P x 2, A-1, AT-1) and just put together an AE-1P/Winder A2/FDn 50mm f/1.8 combo for my daughter... </p>

<p>Got the camera this morning in really cherry condition with the exception of a dead battery but I had the foresight to get some ahead of time. Now I just need the film to arrive.</p>

<p>You nailed it Tom but no name on the 70-210 was in its original box and just says Canon mount. ol</p>