serial numbers on AFD lenses

alastair_anderson

<p><a href="https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47425">This</a> may help. (I've just, finally, dropped my 135 f/2 DC off to find out whether it's LoCA is "normal", so I had the page open...) Mine was printed in black on black (and lights up black when you press it); you may have to get some light bouncing off the side of the lens for it to be visible. Or it should be on the box.</p>

<p>Thanks, everyone - found them. As you say 'engraved in black on a black surface'. I do have documentation somewhere but not all of it immediately available. I bought all my lenses new except the most recent which is the pc 35 f2.8 to replace the one that was stolen. By the way this lens is superb on the D800 if you don't need speed. At f8 it is remarkably sharp.</p>

<p>Alastair, nice to know that the 35mm f/2.8 PC-Nikkor holds up on the D800. Which version have you got BTW? The older 8 element or the newer 7 element one? I'm guessing the newer version, since the older ones aren't meant to fit on Nikon's digital cameras - except they actually do.</p>

<p>Just got a multicoated Ai era 35mm PC to replace my ancient single-coated version. The difference in flare resistance is quite remarkable. Although it's "blacklisted" as not being suitable for my D700, the aperture collar misses the Ai coupler tab on the camera by a hair's breadth. Phew, I didn't have to take a file to it!</p>

<p>Hi Rodeo Joe,<br>

I'm assuming it's the new version. I wasn't aware of the difference. I've seen older ones with silver shift knobs; mine is black. I notice that my particular lens does flare a little under the right (wrong) circumstances, but I'm very happy with it nonetheless. And it certainly fits on the new camera. Allegedly lenses in a specified range of serial numbers are not compatible with the D800. Mines seems to have a much lower number!</p>