Making a subject look bad

<p>A group of us are having an informal social event at which I often take photographs. Several weeks later, we (the same group of friends) are having a "roast" for one of us, a dear friend. I was asked to take some bad photos of the person being roasted which we can project during the roast. I have strong misgivings, but even the wife of the person being roasted urged me to "get him" photographically. She knows that I'm a fan of the Spanish painter Francisco Goya, who made many of her subjects look bad, and reminded me of that when we discussed this. Questions:</p>

<p>1. Should I run the other way, manage to be absent or forget to bring a camera to the first event? I'm seriously considering that. After all the discussions with this group of friends, I'd still like to know how one would go about it.</p>

<p>2. If I go against my better judgement and decide to to it, can you suggest methods for making a few image captures come out terrible? I have already thought about photographing him from a very short distance with an ultra-wide. (I know that the distance is crucial, not the lens, but I could get so close that only a wide angle will include his whole face.) The event will be outdoors during the day, with the possibility of some harsh natural light. I will have at least two flash units available, which can be on- or off-camera. I will not go for emphasizing skin imperfections or anything else which might be cruel. He's actually a fairly good looking man.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"even the wife of the person being roasted urged me to "get him" photographically"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hector, maybe the best way to "get him" is to capture an unexpected and perhaps unflattering moment as we often see with pictures of politicians. It will be a challenge, but I think any deliberate attempt at making him "look unflattering" with photography tricks will come across as mean spirited. </p>

<p>I agree with you that I probably would decline the assignment.</p>

<p>But, if you take it on, you may want to consult the work of the all-time master (mistress?) of earning subjects' trust and then making them look bad, Diane Arbus. She didn't just use lens/lighting tricks or wait for the unflattering facial expressions we all make several times per day, but took straight shots that looked just the way her subjects wanted/expected them too and often exposed the creepiness of their soul in ways they themselves could look at the photos and never see. She said that she was not trying to make her subjects look bad, but that's like if Adams said he didn't intend to make El Capitan look impressive.</p>

<p>IMO, Arbus didn't make her subjects look bad and creepiness of soul is often in the eye of the beholder. </p>

<p>Hector, maybe go for comedy rather than ugly or unflattering. That will probably pass the "roast" test and not risk offending anyone, especially you.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Along the lines of humor as Fred suggested, photoshop might be interesting if, for example, you made his headshot into a mugshot (mugshot height background and inmate tags are freely available online), or since you're a fan of Francisco Goya, paste his head into one of his works. </p>

<p>Around thirty years ago, when I did press work, I was often asked for photos of politicians and other "leaders" which made them look ridiculous. I found that it's a matter of timing and some luck. I don't know if I'd do that to a friend. Better, as Fred G. says, to go for comedy.</p>

<p>The basics of portraiture suggest: correct camera height and angle (chest high to the subject), turning a subject slightly away from the lens to slim them, using a slightly longer than normal focal length. this allows enough distance so the perspective is not distorted. also angled main lighting to 3D "model" the subject.</p>

<p> So shooting a subject square to the lens with a low camera angle, flash atop the lens,and a wide angle lens will violate all the above rules.</p>

<p>Hi Hector -</p>

<p>I fully agree with the suggestions for humor and not hurting or embarrassing your friend in any way.</p>

<p>One way to make your good intentions clear is to do only as much as a kid could / would do with scissors and glue. Make your work is so crude and obvious that there will be absolutely no question that it is good natured ribbing with absolutely no malice intended. Make the humor derive from the unusual juxtapositions you come up with, not from distorting him or rendering him in a bad light.</p>

<p>For example, crudely and obviously paste a nice image of his head onto the bodies of political / sports / movie or other public figures; paste his entire body into unlikely locations (eg, Washington crossing the Delaware) or unlikely groups of people (eg, a group of hippies at Woodstock), crudely paint a moustache or wig on him, etc. </p>

<p>If you draw well, another possibility is to include a few caricatures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caricature) in the set.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Thank you all, perhaps more for the advice here than for any other that I have received on photo.net. I'm not going to purposely shoot bad photos, and will discard those which accidentally make anyone at the event look bad. (There will probably some of those, because candid shots at an event where there's food may well catch someone chewing.) It's nice to know some of the ways it might be done, so your suggestions about technique are not completely wasted.</p>

<p>Tom, thank you. Good to see you on this thread and get your advice. Regards. HJ</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How do things usually work out when you go against your better judgement? <br /> A little good-natured photoshopping might be fun without being cruel.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>i would just say that i don't want to do it. go with what you feel is the best for you. nothing wrong with saying no!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks. That's why I decided I'm not going to do it. See my post 5:45 AM June 12. </p>