Head that doesn't drift

Sycamoe

<p>Is there such a beast? I mean if cost is not a factor, can a person even get a head that, even though the weight of the camera/lens is at a right angle while shooting a macro, will lock down positively exactly where you adjust it and not move a millimeter?</p>

<p>The Arca-Swiss Z1 doesn't drift with what I put on it. For the ultimate in precision and absolutely no drift, however, look for a good geared head (<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=heads&srtclk=sort&ci=140&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&N=4289936031+4289945436"><strong>link</strong></a>). Again, Arca-Swiss makes a lovely one, but the price is a deterrent.</p>

<p>My Markins Q10 doesn't move, neither did the manfrotto geared head I have (but I just really prefer a ballhead...). There's pro's and con's to both, but I feel the ballhead was totally worth what I paid for it. For macro-work, I think I would gravitate more towards a geared head, though.<br>

If with a right angle you mean 'portrait orientation', consider using a L-Bracket for your camera, if available.</p>

<p>There is usually some flex in the best heads/mounts/tripods, which causes the point of aim to shift once you take your hand off the camera. A head with poor holding capacity may continue to sag, whereas with an Arca or RRS head, it's over and done with. This one-time sag has minimal ffect on normal shooting, but is problematic for closeups and with lenses longer than about 300 mm. For static subjects, you can setup by trial and error. With moving objects, it's best to use a fluid or gimbal mount. A geared head is very effective, since adjustments are made on the head itself without applying external force to the camera or mount. The Arca "Cube" is the best, and there are high-quality knockoffs on that design. Manfrotto geared heads are stiff enough, but non-Arca QR is the weak link in that chain.</p>