Team & individual Photography

gary_sempler

Hay guys. I have ben shooting action photography for my local high school for the last two years. The T&I

position was offerd to me and I took it. The school has 1200 athletes. I need to find a work flow for

everthing I need to Do. And yes I plan on selling products also. The person that had the job only sold pic

packages only, You know, The basic stuff. What are the potential earnings If I Get it right. I was told to see

how many students are on the free lunch program. It's a middle class area . I checked the % of the program

and it's 10 % which is quite low for New york state. Kids on the program may not be able to buy. Any and all

help is needed Thanks Gary.

<p>The first part of the workflow is scheduling the shoot and making sure you have the right equipment for it. The 2nd and most challenging part is matching up kids with their orders.</p>

<p>I recommend a 2 step process if you're doing pre-pay / pre-orders:<br>

1) give the school order envelopes to hand out prior to the event. Have each one numbered 1- xxxx, include an order form and payment instructions.<br>

2) Day of the shoot - you don't care what order the kids come in - take a shot of the envelope, then 2 shots of the kid. Then do the team photo. You can shot the kids who are not ordering or not - that is up to you, but they should be included in the team photo.<br>

3) Save the card to your computer and then do a backup copy too.<br>

4) Start printing the orders... Personally I like MPIX... Others may prefer other labs.<br>

Income is going to vary depending upon your talent and ability. Depending upon pricing also and the amount of rebate to the school.</p>

<p>Pre pay is the way to go - typically pay later events do about 50% of what a pre-pay would. See my comment above about shooting or not shooting kids who don't order. The problem is that they (kids - especially younger ones) may feel left out if their friends are all getting their photos taken, but they are not.</p>

<p>Two potential solutions -<br>

1) have a program whereby you give free product to those who are on "scholarship" or reduced lunch.<br>

2) have a bare bones low cost package available (ie 1 team 5x7 and a individual button).</p>

<p>Also plan on a certain amount of refunds / reprints / retakes / etc... for one reason or another. Typically that number is right around 10% - and remember - develop a thick skin quickly. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO - SOMEONE WILL NOT BE HAPPY. Read that statement again and again and again - until it is etched in your memory.</p>

<p>Parents tend to view these photos as one of two things - either a keepsake of the moment, or a full blown professional photo shoot. Dave</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>In my area (Texas) most of the photogs offer a 'proof' sheet for the parents to look at, as well as online galleries; I think pre-pay is a good idea, but it seems less well received. I've had pretty good success using proof orders but if you can make pre-pay work, it makes things go a little faster.</p>