d50 died

chuck_fry1

<p>Hello all i asked a question awhile back on which wide angle lens would be good for me and thank you all for your help. Well I finally got the tokina 12-24 very happy with it. But now my old d50 is dying, meter not working, under exposes really bad. tried resets, ckd exposure compensation, etc. still no good. So my question is would i be better off getting another d50 or d7000 or waiting for something new maybe coming soon? My d50 is pretty much unusable. I shoot it in raw and can adjust exposure in pp but very hard to expose properly to take photo.</p>

<p>The D50 is more than pretty old; it is extremely old:</p>

<ul>

<li>6MP</li>

<li>only compatible with the most basic SD memory cards, not even the very common SDHC today. In other words, you are limited to 2G SD memory cards.</li>

<li>electronic shutter at higher shutter speeds, prone to blooming issues</li>

<li>poor viewfinder</li>

</ul>

<p>It is definitely time to upgrade. The D7000 would be a good choice, but with the Photokina just around the corner, if you can wait a few more weeks to see what Nikon has to announce, you might as well wait a bit.<br>

Indicentally, the D7000 itself was introduced in the 2nd half of 2010. Nikon will likely update it in the next 6 months to a year.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Incidentally, the D7000 itself was introduced in the 2nd half of 2010. Nikon will likely update it in the next 6 months to a year.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you are a photographer, and the camera you use has is broken and not worth fixing, it doesn't matter if the D7000 will be updated in the next six months to a year. If you can afford it, get it. It's an excellent camera, far better than your D50 was when it worked.</p>

<p>Hi Chuck,<br>

I just did what you are considering, except that I first bought the D7000 to replace my old D80. Then I bought the Tokina 12-24 f/4. I'm very satisfied with this setup; I love both the camera and the lens and I'm busy trying to bring my work up to the quality of my gear. Can't imagine that you'd regret this combination for an instant.<br>

<br />Jim</p>

<p>My D7000 replaced an old D40 and I'm very happy with it. Auto white balance is far better, the dual card slots are great to have, auto lens distortion control is great, Live View and several other new features make it an impressive camera. I briefly kept the D40 as a backup then gave it away, the D7000 is that much more preferred. </p>

Thanks all of you for your responses. I

guess I'll have to get the d7k now, I can't

wait that long to get a new body. And the

d7k does have all the features I want. I

also got a Hoya ndx400 when i got my

tokina 12/24 for long exposures, and live

view might be usefull with that. Again

thank you. I'll miss my d50..... Served me

well.

<p>I still have my D70. I have thought about a D800 or whatever newer cheaper FX but the D70 still looks very good in low ISO and up to at 13x19s. The newer cameras are probably better for all round photography at higher ISO and speed and the viewfinder for quicker shots. I think I may get some big strobes instead. </p>

<p>...for what it is worth: if you search the Internet, one might find a refurbished Nikon D5000 body for less than $325 ___ and then you could wait for what is *new and different* at the big German camera show.</p>

<p> </p>