What is the incidence of flipped, reversed images?

<p>As to the image comparison, the more brightly lit photo does not appear to have been scanned from a newsprint reproduction, as the "darker" one was. Also, what you call darker is also called burning. The editors burned out the distracting faces of the cops because the subject of the photo was Oswald.</p>

<p>P.S. When they moved Mubarek to the front of the group in this photo, they also flipped him. Why?<br>

<a href="http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/doctored-photo-flatters-egyptian-president/">http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/doctored-photo-flatters-egyptian-president/</a></p>

<p>Chances are that when the first print was made, it was done in a huge hurry and it was flipped by accident. When subsequent prints were made, they were also flipped because the printer referenced that first one and went by his damaged eye and figured that was "right". <br>

As far as the one being printed darker and cropped - that hand in the lower corner is very distracting and I'd crop it off, too. The point of the photo is Oswald's face anyway, everyone knew he'd been arrested - what more would showing the cuffs prove? Also, an image printed for publication in a newspaper (and then copied from that) will likely not be printed the same way it would be for a fine art exhibition. </p>

I have a Cannon 8800 flat bed scanner which confused me a bit as to which side the scanning sensor is on. I finally concluded there must be two sensors, one below for scanning documents face down and one for negatives and transparencies in the top. I could always flip the photos in photoshop but I wanted the emulsion side closest to the sensor for sharper resolution.