Missing function on EOS Bodies.

charedan

<p>Hi every one. I just got my EF 40mm f/2,8 STM and I just love it.<br>

There's this one thing though that I miss on my EOS bodies that I have on my Oly E-3.<br>

The RESET LENS function: When set to <strong>ON</strong>, this resets the focus of the lens to infinity each time the power is turned off.</p>

<p>Because the EF 40mm f/2,8 STM focus ring isn't active once the lens is off the camera body, you can't reset it to infinity so that the extended part of the lens does not go back inside the lens body. So you always have to think of pressing the MF button (because doesn't work in AF mode) and than turning the focus ring to infinity before removing the lens. And i'm always afraid this behavior could eventually damage the lens if the extended part (8,13mm) is knocked against something if I forget to do so.<br>

Canon themselves say that close up lens cannot be used on this lens because "The end of the lens will become heavy, causing the focus to become unstable". So my take is that this extended portion is rather fragile.<br>

What do you think?</p>

<p>I wouldn't even make it an option. I think any focus-by-wire lens should fully retract when powered off. Or better still, lenses should be designed so that the focus ring always works. Funny how we've had that ability practically since the dawn of photography and now the manufacturers are taking it away.</p>

<p>+1 to Craigs comment!<br>

Now that you made me think of it, I guess I've just gotten into the habit of doing whatever it takes to retract my lens into its shortest physical length when stowing in my bag!</p>

<p>The only lens that I am most aware of is the Tamron 17-50, but it has a small manual "zoom lock" switch which will only engage at its shortest length. I really don't think about it too much but do know that if I fail to use the little zoom lock, it's a pain to both remove or attach the lens with the Tulip lens hood reversed for storage.</p>

<p>My other zoom is the 100-400 push-pull design with the "Zoom tightening" lock ring. One would have to really have his head in the clouds to leave that thing extended out to the 400mm end and attempt to put it into a camera bag, or for that matter, to carry it around very far extended.</p>

<p> </p>