Can't Remove Lens from Canon 5D Mark III

Hox

<p>I feel embarrassed that I'm having this problem. I'm very familiar with this camera and I think I just spaced out.</p>

<p>I have a nikon AI-S lens that I put on my Canon 5D Mark III with an adapter. I've used these adapters many many times with the Mark II and my Mark III. This time I put the lens on and as I was rotating it into the locked position it just kept rotating and went past the lock position, I'm wondering if i was accidentally holding the lens release button as I rotated it. So now the lens is on but i can't get it off. If i turn it in the direction to get it off (counter clockwise) i hit a hard stop. If I turn it toward the direction to put it on (clockwise) it just gets snugged up. For now I'm basically stuck with my Nikon AI-S 28mm on my canon 5d mark iii. Kind of embarrassing.</p>

<p>I'm just seeing if there are any answers out there instead of taking this to a repair shop.</p>

<p>Don't worry, Im not going to force anything. </p>

<p>Thanks everyone,<br>

alex</p>

<p>Are you able to get the lens detached from the adapter? Or are both stuck? What happens if you apply some light pressure inward, toward the camera body, while trying to turn the adapter? It's probably not the case since you have experience with this, but sometimes things have a spring lock that keeps them from just twisting off; some pressure has to be applied to align the grooves for removal. Just a thought. But a service center visit might be the best bet.</p>

<p>Jay, thanks for your quick response. I tried it out but so far no luck. There is a spring loaded locking pin on the adapter that is keep the lens attached. You can only unlock it from the side facing the camera body. Thanks though.</p>

<p>Knowing the way bayonets work I doubt you could have over-rotated the adpater or else the adapter would come off again. Three male flanges insert into three female flanges, and if over rotated would be in free space again. My guess and it is only a guess, is that the spring on the adapter has bent and is snagging on the mount as you rotate to release it.<br>

Mounts are reasonably strong and you could try a moderate amount of force to see if the spring bends enough to free itself. Otherwise a trip to the repair shop will probably be needed. I am not sure if they can remove the front plate to access the mount or whether they will have to go through the back.</p>

<p>Harry, it depends on the design of adapter. For instance, my Pentax M42/EOS adapter is very simple. There are no springs or release levers to mess up. My Pentax K to EOS adapter, on the other hand, is borderline scary.</p>

<p>BTW, if you want to play Russian Roulette, it would probably be with an M42 adapter! ;-)</p>

<p>yeah, im definitely concerned that it is the adapter situation. this looks like the cheap one that i bought. I should get more fotodiox adapters, they seem to be a lot nicer.<br>

I'm a cinematographer and these nikons are easier to use in the field than the canon lenses that don't have a hard-stop for focus or a ring to control the aperture, in case you folks were wondering why i got myself in this situation.</p>

<p>A</p>

<p>Quick question: Is this a focus confirm adapter? If so, the focus confirmation circuit board might have fallen off the adapter and might be lodged somewhere it shouldn't be. Maybe turning the lens back and forth the short distance it will move will work the board free and enable you to remove the adapter. You might also have over-run the electrical contacts, so that you're hanging up on them on the backside. The solution might be to keep turning with a bit of extra force until you can rotate the lens all the way back around.</p>

<p>Is there a picture of this adapter on the web that we can all look at?</p>

<p>I gave up and took it to the repair shop. The guy there was even a bit confused on how to treat the issue so it made me nervous.</p>

<p>I don't recall if this was a focus confirm adapter or not. I a have a bunch of them. I think it was definitely a cheap one though, no brand name.</p>

<p>I really hope i didn't completely mess up my camera.</p>

<p>A</p>

<p>Alright everyone I got it solved!. (not a disaster, Alan).</p>

<p>The stopping pin had fallen out of the adapter. that's all. It's a tiny screw, similar to one for your glasses, but even smaller. It's just there to keep this very thing from happening. It must have gotten loose in my bag and fallen out. Definitely didn't fall out in the camera, I would have heard it and the reapair man said he would have seen it. The procedure only took him about 5 or 10 minutes. He even assured me I wasn't doing anything stupid.<br>

So, yes the adapter was a cheap one and that's probably why the stopping screw/pin came out at some point, other than that it is fine. He put a new one in that is sure to not pop out.<br>

Thanks again everyone,<br>

Alex<br>

www.alexhoxie.com</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>I had a very similar issue with the mount and lens stuck together against the body of a Canon 5d using a cheap adapter Fotodiox. I was not missing any screw so that was not the solution.<br /> I did heed Sarah Fox's advice and pushed into the body of the camera as I turned in addition to adding a bit extra force close the point where you think you might bust the thing, but not quite approaching that cliff. <br /> Well the adapter did come free of the body, but now I still have to get the adapter off of the lens. Here is a picture of the folded piece of metal lever below.<br>

Then I looked at the very helpful Fotodiox youtube video to get the lens free of the adapter:<br />

/> Which resulted in this outcome; a broken adapter but a freed up camera and lens. <br /><br /> Notice that the pin fell out after I got the entire thing free, which is the same outcome of Alex's issue but different pathways to there. I would not recommend this cheap adapter solution either. Not worth the risks and stress.<br>

<a title="IMG_2011 by Rajesh Barnabas Photos, on Flickr" href=" IMG_2011 src="https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8723/16309454364_4e1c0da565.jpg" alt="IMG_2011" width="500" height="374" /></a></p>