JPEG + RAW

riz

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I have just shifted from Nikon D60 to Canon EOS Rebel T3i. In Nikon I had option for Basic JPEG with RAW.</p>

<p>But, in Canon T3i I have noticed that there is only Large JPEG + RAW. Its making difficult to manage space.</p>

<p>Am I missing something or there is a limitation of only large JPEG option with RAW.</p>

<p>Looking forward,</p>

<p>Riz</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it is not a limitation on all Canon DSLRs</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Certainly not. I used to shoot RAW+large jpeg, but as the RAW files got larger with higher pixel cameras, I've shifted to RAW+small jpeg. As said by Bob, it's not all that much difference in actual practice, and the large jpg gives you a usable image right out of the camera without having to process anything. That can be handy a lot of times.</p>

<p>I shoot RAW+large JPEGs. I have had to move to larger cards to manage the larger RAW files in new Canon cameras. I now use 16 and 32 GB cards, and even those will fill up fast with the larger RAW files. Occasionally if I am shooting moving objects with multiple exposures (e.g. race cars on a track) I will turn off RAW to gain some additional space for some sequences.</p>

<p>There's already a JPEG embedded within the .CR2 file (though I'm not sure what size JPEG it is). <a href="http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&as_q=extract+jpeg+from+cr2&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=off&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=" target="_blank">Google tells me there are tools available to extract this</a>, so if you need both but don't want to use up the space on your cards*, you could just shoot RAW and then use one of those tools to extract the embedded JPEGs once you download the images to your computer.</p>

<p>*: Also, the RAW+JPEG takes a bit longer to write to the card since there's more data, and on at least some models, it may also reduce the number of shots you can fit in the buffer, which could be a problem if you're shooting bursts.</p>