Nikon equivalent to new Canon D1s?

curtis_basner

Has anyone heard anything (even rumors) regarding a possible new

Nikon digital camera that will compete with the brand new Canon D1s?

I realize that Nikon just recently came out with the D100, but

clearly that body is not in the same category as the Canon. The

Nikon D1x/h are also not that old, but clearly are also not up to

fair comparison with an 11 mp machine with a capture size equivalent

to a 35mm negative. I have too much invested in Nikon gear to

consider switching to Canon, but have become interested in pro

quality digital. Any information out there?

The D100 competes with the D60 and they both came out at about the same time. The EOS 1Ds is a different beast entirely. It's a pro body with numerous other advantages and it has 11mp. Nikon doesn't have anything like it except for the Kodak DSC 14n which is 14 megapixels. The Canon is a lot more advanced not just in the construction however and it's not really a fair comparison in many ways.

The D1X and D1H from Nikon are about as old as they come and they're showing their age. It's about time Nikon replaces them (I'd say) and they will probably have something before too long to compete or even one up the EOS 1Ds. They'll also have the EOS 1D in their sights. So it goes. I believe I've heard rumors that Nikon will have their next pro DSLR coming next year some time, but I'm not sure when and it might have been scheduled for next fall. Just rumors so don't get too excited. Someone might have more concrete information but I don't think there's much out for us "general public" types to hear.

I would not even consider the kodak a viable investment. I have read(from ken rockwell) that its shutter is rated at 30,000 exposures, thats about a year of photos for me. If nikon does come out with a D2 it will be so far away that by then Canon will have something to top it.

Andrew,

You talk as if the folks at Nikon have never come up with anything worthwhile and will fall so far behind Canon that they won't even be able to compete? Let see when the F5 came out, it pretty much set the standard for quality, metering, flash, etc...same thing with the D1. Some would say that those cameras have been surpased by their canon counterparts, in the case of the D1 certainly. I think you'll likely see a leap frogging of Nikon and Canon with regard to speed, mega-pixels, etc for years to come. My six sense tells me the next digital from Nikon will be announced soon, but not before Nion has everything ready to blow the doors off the current line of Canon digitals...ie 16 mega-pixel, high burst rate, etc.

Unless, Nikon fires all its current engineers and replaces them with all the engineers from Leica :?) I don't think Nikon has anything to worry about being phased out in the new digital world.

Regards,

Justin

Andy, I am curious as to where your info about the Kodak came from

(Ken Rockwell??). I have a Kodak on order and would appreciate more

info from sources other than the Kodak marketing department. The 3

year old Fuji S1 was based on an even less sophisticated Nikon body and

I've heard nothing as to the failure of those cameras as of yet.

When peoplewrite things like (and I paraphrase) "by the time Nikon comes out with something Canon will havealready surpassed", regardless of their chronological age, they think and speak as children. I'd say the same thing if someone reversed the brand names.<P>

The purpose of advertising and flackery like that is to make someone feel insecure enough to think that what ever they are buying or have just bought will fill some insecurity in the purchaser.<P>Will Nikon make a digital camera with a 24 x 36 CMOS or CCD sensor? Of course. Will be be equal to or surpass what ever is at the top ofthemarket when it comes out? Of course it will.<P>

Canon (and Kodak for that matter have been pretty clear about who they are targeting the 24x36mm 12Mp to 16Mp sensor cameras to: portrait and wedding photography studios who are now using 6 x 4.5cm and 6x6cm film cameras. For 97% of the people who use DSLRS right now the D1x and Canon D1, Nikon D100 and Canon D60 offer more quality than most ofthe owners will ever need. The 1Ds and the D2 will open new vistas for the other 3% and for all ofthose wedding and Portrait studios.

Here here Elis - This will be a regular topic of debate over the next while. Honesly it is boring already. Yes canon is king of the castle, I think we are quick to forget that before canon, nikon and before that kodak held the crown. The tides will turn again in a few months/years and nikon or another player will hold the lead. Canon is making some very nice technology at the moment, but it will not always be so. Personally I wouldn't be suprised to see the D2 being a compromise between the EOS 1D/Nikon D1H and the 1Ds/Kodak 14n. I would personally be much more interested in a 8-10Mpix cameras, full frame, with the build of the F100. A good compromise between quality, price and speed of use. An 8Mpix full frame F100 would suit all of my 35mm style photography almost indefinity. But seriously can't we find something interesting to talk about - I guess talking about photography would be too much to ask.

Jams,<P>Thank you. Nikon is currently shipping versions of the D1x that use the same size sensor but produce a 10.5 Mp image (something about improved interpolation patterns.)Older D1x cameras can have their firmware updated to produce the larger image. My understanding isthat atthe same time Nikon gives the camera a real going over as well to bring it up to spec.

There was a change in the way that the Nikon Capture software handles the RAW output of the D1x. The D1x has a weird CCD with rectangular photo sites. The CCD is 4028 x 1324 (horz x vert). NC3.5 interpolates the vertical dimension, boosting it to 2648. Thus, a 10Mpixel image is generated. Previously, the image was interpolate/downsampled to a 3000 x 2000 image. Now, all of the horizontal information is kept, and the vertical dimension is upsampled.

As for rumors, it's nearly certain that Nikon will announce their new pro DSLR in early March at PMA. The D1x and D1h are about to have a rebate announced (see KEH website). So if you're about to buy a D1x or D1h, at least wait a few days for the rebate to kick in. Also, Kodak has a nice new full frame sensor (11000CM) that's not being used in any of their own cameras (the 14n uses a sensor from Fill Factory). A Kodak employee that posts on lots of boards (dpreview, robgalbraith) has hinted strongly that it will appear in somebody's new DSLR. Could be Nikon's...

• 5 months later...
The only thing I do hope is that digital will eventually settle into basic �formats�. The Canon EOS D1s already gives 35mm film a run for its money. Why should I care for a 50mp camera!? A few more mp would be nice but what I do care about is that the CCD or CMOS sensors do not grow any larger than 36x24mm in order to accommodate the increase of megapixels. If photographers need more megapixels, they should have digital �medium format� digicams for extra pixel power so to speak. These are the same constraints faced by film users: 35mm vs 6x4.5cm etc. This will ensure that lenses and accessories will not be used under conditions different that what they were designed for. I would rather that 35mm based digital cameras top out at 15mp and keep the 36x24mm sensor and that they are fitted with oodles of features than one w/ 25mp but gives compromise in function or performance. Just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 1Ds and I had the D1 and D1x. I am very curious to why no one seems to talk about anything except for Full frame and higher resolution when they talk about upgrades (in rumored camera's)??! Does everyone trully think that's all that's lacking? What about a real good white balance and true film like latitude and flash capabilities. My D1x did not work like my F5 with flash at all! The fill flash (using my SB80DX) was nothing short of astounding when used with the F5. That is not the case with the Nikon Digital OR Canon digital camera's. I am a wedding photographer and my life has become very difficult with digital bec. of the white balance and flash issue's. I believe in digital and am no old timer by far, but I feel that the technology is way too immature. The 1Ds is a gorgeous camera that was built as professional as anything can be built. For all intents and purposes the resolution meets all my needs and the color reproduction is outstanding. But using it with flash is...........Forget about the Canon flash, it's useless. I mean Metz and Quantum etc. In order to get the best exposure one must work on full Manual (not even auto) what a pain. Trully "back to the future". Then if you are a wedding photog. and take portraits you have to take a white balance to get good color with studio strobes. the as you wander from room to room depending on the light or go out doors for some formals you are constantly "re" white balancing. How trouble free is that?!

So in my extremely humble opinion, resolution and full frame are not the beginning and end of my personal wish list!