Pelican warranty change

drew bedo

<p>I just found out that the Pelican camera bag that I have was made in China and they won’t honor the usual warranty!<br /><br />I have a soft sided combination roll around/backpack that works fine as a camera bag. But now the pull-out handle won't deploy fully and one of the "feet" has broken off ton he bottom. I can't pull it and it won't stand up.</p>

<p>When I called Pelican customer service, they told me it was a Pelican licensed product made in China and the Pelican warranty didn't apply. The importer, Omega-somethuing, doesnt seem to have any intention of making this right.<br /><br />I am very disappointed in Pelican. I always thought they were a really good company. Now I find they have sold-out to the Chinese like everyone else out there.</p>

Bad, indeed.<br>I don't know how it is over where you are, but over here in Europe, you have a contract, not with the maker of the product, not with the importer, but with the retailer who sold you the product.<br>The retailer is bound by law to supply something that does what it is supposed to do, in a manner that, and as long as, can be expected within reason.<br>If it fails, the retailer is responsible for making things good, no matter whether the manufacturer or importer wants to or not. That is the problem the retailer, who has a contract with his supplier, has to deal with himself. Not yours.<br>So if i were you, i'd have a word with the retailer. Not accept the retailer trying to pass the buck to someone he, but not you, dealt with.

<p>Well, I bought the item because Pelican has a great reputation for high quality, almost bom-proof hardshell protective cases . . .with a warrentee policy that reads</p>

<h3>Pelican's Unlimited Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence</h3>

<p>For over 30 years, Pelican’s guarantee has been simple: “You Break It, We Replace It…Forever”™</p>

<p>I am sue that if one intentionally crushed a case in some way it wouldn't apply, however this case has a broken pull handle (won't extend) and a broken foot (won't stand up) during normal travel and usage.</p>

<p>The Pelican's customer service people assured me that the soft-case "PCS" line were genuine Pelican products manufactured under license in China and the USA warenty did not apply . . .then referred me to the importer, Omega. Omega customer service may be reached at (800)777-6634 . . .its the receptionist!</p>

I had a couple of their hard cases with broken latches. I called about replacing them and mentioned that I had 7 others of similar

vintage. They said, those are old, bring them all in. I did and they replaced them all with new ones. Even gave me a couple

flashlights...

<p>I asked about how much use the bag had seen because I was just curious. I've only ever used Pelican's hard cases. And I've done many very bad things to them. And they're incredibly tough. I think I'd have to actually set fire to them, or use destructive power tools to wreck them. I suppose I can understand how lighter-duty bags couldn't be expected to live forever, or be perpetually replaced as they inevitably wear out through use. Burden's definitely on the Pelican people to make that clear up front, though.</p>

<p>I really dig the soft rolling bag. It has a zipper backpack that isn't the best as far as extreme backpacking would go but it's a convenient feature.<br /> I use it for a smaller location pack & 3 head system with extra cables and all sort of gaffer/grip nik-naks with a lightstand case strapped to the handle.</p>

<p>Works so well I haven't worried about the stuck handle so far.</p>

<p> </p>

<i>"How long shouldn't matter—its a lifetime thing."</i><br><br>As far as Pelican and the products they endorse as something they would 'cover' would be concerned perhaps. As it appears, Pelican says it's not them, but their licensee, the maker of the product, you have to turn to.<br><br>I still don't think you would have to. You bought this thing from a retailer, who is obliged to sell you something that can be expected to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it will last in normal use, or else make ammends. (He in turn can turn to whoever sold him the thing. Who in turn, etc.. But to each his own: you have not dealt with the importer, the maker nor Pelican. So turn to whoever sold you the thing.)<br>But it does matter how long you have been using the bag already. Nothing - we all know - lasts forever. It's reasonable to expect things to fail sooner or later. Even high quality items.<br>How long have you been using the bag?

<p>Well: I really like the way the bag is layed out—the pockets and all the zippers etc. I've had it a little over a year and bought it from a dealer Pelican at a camera show. Didn't pay attention to tags, receipt etc because I was getting a Pelican case. <br>

Pelican has sold out their good reputation good name and sollid brand to a general distrubitor of imports. The Pelican customer service people insist that this is a genuine Pelican product, but won't stand by it. The importer, Omega Brands, has a very limited warenty (5 years) that depends on keeping the receip . . .if the bag is a current model ( so its for less than 5 years). Wallmart imports from China and has a better return policy. </p>

<p>Well this transaction happened at a camera show a year ago and in an other city. I made no note of the seller and I'm sure that I couldn't recognise them again. I didn't have my buyer-beware radar on because it was a pelican product. They had both hardshell cases and these soft sid bags. I have a hard case and its great. The Pelican reputation seemed enough. I just put stuff into the bag and went home. The Pelican guarentee has always been, "You breake it . . .we replace it." Or something equally strong. </p>

<p>The customer service people iinsist that this is a genuine Pelican product, but they won't stand by it with Pelican's warenty. They have sold-out their good reputation, logo and brand to an importer of shoddy foreign products.</p>

Drew,<br>Isn't it time to come clean, and post a public apology to Pelican for bitching about something they are not responsible for?<br><a href="http://www.pixtus.com/forum/camera-bags-cases/164884-pelican-warenty-not-what-used.html">You bought the bag you were complaining about used and knowing full well it already had the faults you wanted Pelican to repair for free.</a><br>You talked about your buyer-beware-radar having been down, not remembering who it was who sold you the bag, who it was you had to turn to. But none of that is true, is it?<br>You continued bitching about Pelican, even though you knew that Pelican was not responsible for either the bag itself nor the faults.<br>And even though you should know that trying to make a company pay for the repair of goods you bought knowing it was damaged is at least a pretty shady undertaking.<br>Extremely bad from, that. Starting a thread about companies that provide excellent customer service doesn't make it right.

<p>I am deeply sorry for all the discord that I have brought to the Large format community on this forum. I sincerely apologiise to all who have contributed to this thread.</p>

<p>I am in direct contact with Pelican. Our exchanges are professional and on-going.</p>