Epson 7900 won't print on Mac 10.6.8

<p>I've been using my 7900 on a Mac Pro running 10.6.8 for about 8 months now. It is connected by ethernet across the room from the computer where there is a nice space for it.</p>

<p>I didn't do any printing for the last month or two (other than nozzel tests daily to keep the heads working). Last week I needed to print and got an error I'd never seen. In the Macs printing preferences I cleared all the printers off the list and added the again Epson with the same result (obviously it shows up on the network). Reinstalled the latest drivers, same result.</p>

<p>When I moved furniture and get the printer close enough to print with USB it worked fine. I then tried to restore my system using Timemachine thinking a recent security update might have broken ethernet printing but half way through the install I got errors on each backup I had! I've tried to research the problem on the web, but haven't found any definitive answers. Anyone here have a similar problem, and of course a solution if possible? Right now I'm plannning on going to the hassle of moving the printer and using USB for now and hope that Mt. Lion fixes things.</p>

<p>This sound like a straight forward network problem. I have neither a Mac nor an Epson printer, but here is where I would look (I assume your computer and the printer are connected to an ethernet router/switch, not a dedicated cable from the printer to the computer. I also assume you have other devices on the network and they all work.):</p>

<p>1) Replace the cable from the router/switch to the printer and see if that fixes the problem. This has the highest probability of being the problem.</p>

<p>2) The port on the router/switch to which the printer is attached is bad. Switch ports and see if that solves the problem.</p>

<p>3) The ethernet port on the printer is bad. Call Epson support and see what they suggest for a diagnostic of the port.</p>

<p>4) How does the printer get its TCP/IP address? Is it hard coded or does it get it via DHCP from the router? If it gets it from the router, login to the router and check the DHCP tables. Is the printer present?</p>

<p>What error message are you getting?</p>

<p>Brooks, thanks for the ideas, I thought of that and need to get another long ethernet cable to try. The cable from the computer is plugged into a switch, not a router, so no software/firmware is involved. I did try switching ports, and plugging the main cable directly into the printer - same results. It does seem strange that the printer shows up on the network if there is a problem with the cabling/switch.<br>

Here is the error message I get in print control, which makes it sound like a software problem:<br>

/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Filter/rastertoescpII.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescpII failed</p>

<p>Hi Jim,</p>

<p>I am not familiar with Mac error messages; I use a PC. From the message you posted, the problem seems to be on the Mac.</p>

<p>If you have not updated your driver, there is a new driver for Macs as of January 2012. Here is a link: <a href="http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=119097&prodoid=63079721&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh">http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=119097&prodoid=63079721&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh</a></p>

<p>There are also firmware and utility updates at the same link.</p>

<p>If the updates do not solve the problem, a call to Epson support is in order.</p>