Broken P&S Camera

kerry_grim

Not sure I have the right forum here, but I will ask...

My daughter broke her Nikon P300 P&S camera. She dropped it right on the lens with the lens racked-out and it is severely out of alignment. The camera is about a year old.

I believe this was about a $300 camera when new and realize only an estimate will tell if it is worth it or not. Surely it

would not be on a cheaper camera but I would like thoughts of others who needed a similar repair of a P&S in this price

range. Thanks All!

<p>The cost of labour is such that the camera needs to be rather more valuable to justify thinking of a repair ...I saw a 2/h one for $260 at Amazon a moment or two ago. New ones are $330.<br>

If at all possible I suggest getting a neck strap for the next camera and emphasising it needs to be used.<br>

When I was working for one firm I dropped a camera two weekends running, third weekend when I turned up to find what they wanted me to do for them they had a camera for sale ...I bought it .... it had a neck strap and it did not get dropped.* The boss had an idea we should hold our flash unit away from the camera instead of being fixed to the camera as we were used to. Last camera I bought [2/h] came without a neck strap so first thing I did was make one with some string, shortly to be replaced with a proper strap I found.<br>

*It served me well for several years until I got married and my wife kicked it out of the car into street gutter full of rushing water following carefully guarding it when she went to the other side of the world for her father's funeral.</p>

<p>As JC says, most repairs these days tend to be pricey, and, unfortunately, a year old $300 P&S is probably more of a commodity item in today's world. You could probably buy a year-old used one for less than a repair, but only an estimate will tell.<br>

I tried to look on eBay for similar cameras, but at the moment, there seem to be only a few new ones up. They are around US$300</p>

<p>Forget repairing it, due to labor cost, and parts.<br>

Next time get the new Nikon drop proof, underwater camera, that will survive better. Coolpix AW100, if you want to stay with Nikon. Consider also Panasonic water and drop proof cameras.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26293/COOLPIX-AW100.html">http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26293/COOLPIX-AW100.html</a></p>