quick selection tool

I'm trying to learn to use the quick selection tool, but I'm having a hard time with this selection tool. It selects too much, jumps about and doesn't act like the tutorial I'm learning from. I'm using the same photograph as the video tutor (Lynda.com) Did anyone experience what I'm talking about? I'm using Photoshop CS5 </address>

<p>Keep an eye on the settings for Sampling size of your eyedropper (1x1, 5x5 etc) as that setting is used when you initially click on something to select. Sometimes smaller is better, sometimes larger is better. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>It often happens that the chosen area suddenly "goes crazy", that is, jumps out of context and encompasses major parts of the picture. For that reason it is always wise to apply the tool piecewise, that is re-apply it in several steps. If the last step "goes crazy", just push the Command/Z Key (in Apple), or use the Menu Command "Edit/Undo". This nullifies this last step. You then proceed with a smaller size of the "circle", as Andrew has indicated.</p>

<p>Even after having selected all of the area you want to select, it pays of to give that selection a closer look by enlarging the image. Often small areas outside your desired selection are included and small areas inside still occluded. To get rid of the former, just keep the "Alt" key pushed in while selecting it with a very small "circle". To include the latter, just select it with a very small "circle".</p>

<p>Once all of the selection is OK, you may still see jagged outlines. Those have to be dealt with on the menu panel.</p>

<p>The name "Quick" is somewhat misleading. If you want quality, you have to improve the original choice as indicated above. </p>