Lightroom - correcting a rename error

<p>My rename pattern - xxxx_YYYYMMDD_DSC1234567.jpg<br>

where is xxxx identifies which camera I used - I made a big error and have hundreds of photos with the wrong value for xxxx <br>

I now need to rename all the jpg, raw and sidecar files in several directories from x100_D70s_*.* to x100_*.*</p>

<p>Lightroom 3</p>

<p> </p>

<p>No problem renaming again with Batch Rename (F2 key) with a newer naming template or convention. Select all*, F2, done. <br>

*Might want to build a smart collectin to gather the images you wish to rename. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Yes, I understand I can use F2, but I don't know how to select a pattern that would change the current filename from x100_d70s_20120722_DSC1234567.jpg to x100_20120722_DSC1234567.jpg<br>

at this point the original filename is d70s_20120722_DSC1234567.jpg <br>

I don't see a way to remove the d70s_</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I find renaming batch files in LR difficult compared to Adobe Bridge CS5 which has a logical, flexible and easy to use system.<br /> I use the YYMMDD+sequence +text description: that is "120724001-subject " I cant get my head around why LR does not easily allow me to do this.<br /> I am forced to use Bridge to rename files then import to LR.<br /> I use PS Bridge CS5 to rename file naming amendments using "string substitution" you just hey in the parameters you want to change and it works. I really don't know why LR does not use the same system. File naming was one of the things that prevented me using it as a Image system in the first place.<br /> Of course if anyone knows better???</p>

<p>I have no idea how you can solve this inside of Lightroom, I don't use it enough.</p>

<p>However whenever I need to batch rename files, I have always used the '<a href="http://www.orbit.org/renamer/">BK Renamer</a>' program found in various spots on the internet now, since the creator doesn't post it any longer on his site.</p>

<p>Using that on the extracted files from your library would be a piece of cake to solve this problem with.</p>

<p><strong>"I find renaming batch files in LR difficult compared to Adobe Bridge CS5 which has a logical, flexible and easy to use system."</strong><br>

<br>

Ditto your whole post, Dave. I'm not sure how LR, coming second after Bridge, ended up so different and difficult in so many ways. Sometimes I swear they're both not made by Adobe</p>

<p>Its crazy it should be so hard - there is no general was to change names. However, I hit upon a solution</p>

<p>x100_d70s_20120722_DSC1234567.jpg<br>

pattern x100_{DATE YYMMDD}_DSC{Original File number suffix}<br>

gives x100_0120722_DSC1234567.jpg</p>

<p>I was at one time thinking that I was bit stupid having a hard time with LR naming; but I can see I'm not the only one.<br>

I'll try out the BK Renamer if i have time. <br>

Also ACDC is good for file naming. I used to have this years ago. There is a Pro Version which works a bit like Bridge but without the high expense.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Its crazy it should be so hard - there is no general was to change names. However, I hit upon a solution<br>

x100_d70s_20120722_DSC1234567.jpg<br />pattern x100_{DATE YYMMDD}_DSC{Original File number suffix}<br />gives x100_0120722_DSC1234567.jpg</p>

</blockquote>

It isn’t hard, it just wasn’t evident at first. The entire name had to be rewritten. Sounds like you hit the right combo of user entered text and tokens to use. Above the area you enter all this is an example of what the naming will look like. Save it as a custom name template and you can always season to taste.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>[[isn't the problem with any external rename utility is that LightRoom would get confused and think the photos were lost?]]</p>

<p>It's not difficult to point Lightroom to where they are and have them reconnect. </p>

<p> </p>