Is D7000 really that bad?

jon_reisegg

<p>Shun Cheung has mostly tried to blame settings or the photographer, I can vouch that I had a total of 5 bodies that all displayed focus problems.<br>

It's not the settings, nor the photographer there are problems with many D7000's with AF, I've older bodies from other makers that hammer the D7000 for AF performance, even cheaper budget models will run rings around a D7000 for AF<br>

As for Nikon just look at the D600 fiasco to make your own mind up</p>

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>If you had this experience, would you buy another camera from them?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why not? You have bad experience with exactly one D7000 that costs $1200 new, much cheaper now. Why dump your 300mm/f2.8 for a $2000 loss before testing it on additional bodies? If the new body also shows problems, you can always return it promptly for a full refund. It would have cost you some valuable time, of course, but essentially no more money.</p>

<p>I have been using Nikon cameras since 1977 and since I test them for photo.net in these days, I have gone through 2, 3 dozen of them so far. I know I am sounding old now, but in some 34 years, I have yet to run into one Nikon body that is defective from the beginning.</p>

<p>However, so far I have terrible experience with refurbished Nikon lenses that I have perhaps repeated too many times on this forum: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00c0Fc">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00c0Fc</a><br>

In two occasions I ran into subtle focusing issues on two refurbished zooms. Those lenses were not sharp on their long end; in the case of the 80-400, it was unsharp only at 400mm, f5.6. In both cases it took me about a week or two to conclude that the lenses were defective. I wasted a lot of time testing those lenses and I lost out of two great deals (as those refurbished lenses were a lot cheaper than new), so it was very frustrating for me as well, but I returned them promptly and got full refunds both times. And if the deal is good, I might give refurbished lenses another try. Plenty of people have reported good experiences with their refurbished lenses.</p>

<p>Sorry if those suggestions are too late for some, but hopefully others will check their new purchase, new or pre-owned products, thoroughly within the refund period.</p>

<p>P.S. Without the opportunity to check any specific piece of equipment, I am not going to pass judgment on any specific case. I have no doubt that some new Nikon cameras and lenses are defective. I am sorry if some of you run into them.</p>

<p>Shun Cheung, a very strong response to say the least, yet I am glad you have had a good experience. <br>

I purchased my Nikon products directly from Nikon Canada.<br>

I did ask for them to be replaced and they refused.<br>

I did check the 300mm f2.8 with their customer support person outside their location with the D7000 of mine and their D800. This lens had an issue with both. They said because their service department said it was operating within spec, they will not replace it, even though there was proof to the contrary in actual use by myself and the customer service person on both cameras.<br>

All other issues were dealt with in pretty much the same manner.<br>

This has continued to the point that the warranty is now over for the D7000 and I must pay for to be fixed now. This would not be a problem if I could trust Nikon the fix it. <br>

My real wish is that Nikon would help me.<br>

Thank you for your input.<br>

Alan</p>

<p>Alan, if you are not satisfied with Nikon Canada's repair service, I would suggest that you escalate the issue. For example, it doesn't take that much time to write a letter to the president of Nikon Canada and if that still doesn't work, to Nikon Japan. Since your D7000 went to repair 5 times during warranty, I would demand a replacement even though it is outside of the warranty period.</p>

<p>If you come here to blow off some steam, that is fine and very understandable. You may get a few sympathy responses telling everybody how bad Nikon is. That may make you feel better, but it is not going to fix your equipment at all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=7150037">Alan McLaren</a> , Dec 21, 2012; 08:04 a.m.</p>

<p>Thanks Henrik, Good Thinking. Could you elaborate on this a little.</p>

<p ><a name="00cTGf"></a><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=7150037">Alan McLaren</a> , Mar 23, 2014; 01:19 p.m.</p>

</blockquote>

<p > </p>

<p >Think about it, between your two consecutive posts in December 2012 and March 2014, a year and three months has gone by and nobody else has posted here. I recall that Nikon USA had a sale of D7000 around last Christmas for $700. Therefore, they must have sold a lot of D7000 in 2013. If a lot of D7000 indeed have various problems, we should have seen a lot of complaints, on this thread or other new threads. At least I am not aware of any unusual amount of such complaints.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Again, assuming that it is all Nikon's fault, if your purpose for posting here is to blow off some steam, I am sorry I am not very helpful at all. If you would like to get your issues resolved, it is too late for the 300mm/f2.8, but there is still a chance for the others.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >You can switch to Canon, which makes great cameras, but a few years ago the 1D Mark III had lots and lots of AF issues; I have seen threads much longer than this one (or even the one for the Nikon Df here with 800+ posts). I was just talking to a friend the other day. His 1D Mark III went back to Canon for multiple repairs for that very issue. Even though it is someone else's fault, sometimes you need to help yourself to get the issues resolved.</p>

<p>Most users won't notice problems as they are not experienced photographers, plenty of D5100's and D3200's with back focus that will never get noticed<br>

You should not have to jump through hoops to get this sorted out, I would honestly abandon Nikon they have IMO too many QC problems, their service sucks cannot fix simple AF issues properly. All makers have problems, but we know for a fact Nikon have had more than most, D600 disaster, D800 AF issues..the D7000 is widely complained about for AF issues you don't have to look very far at all<br>

It's a nice body with somewhat iffy metering (in matrix which isn't the major problem) and lousy AF performance. I kid you now the bodies I had varied from early to late production models and not one of them could hit a barn door accurately and consistently<br>

Stop the headache and dump any brand that doesn't put it's customers first</p>

<p>Thank you Shun Cheung and Barry F<br>

I have taken the good out of what has been posted and will leave it at that.<br>

I did write Nikon Japan twice last year and have not received a reply as of today.<br>

I have contacted Nikon Canada after they dropped me a note on Facbook in reply to my posting on their page. They will try and work a plan out for me and let me know in a day or two. Patience. <br>

Causing a raucous is not my intersession. Although I am not a happy camper. Time for Peace.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Alan, I hope something good can work out for you. If I may make one more suggestion, I would get a name in Nikon Canada to be the point of contact for your future correspondences; it is best to have a manager. Therefore, if you don't hear from them after a few more days, you have something to get in touch with.</p>

<p>Please keep us posted on any progress.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>