Al Kaplan

<p>The connection is presumably that she took self-portraits, and the late Mr Kaplan also took self-portraits. </p>

<p>There are several photo.net threads on Ms Maier, if anyone wants to read more about her. She was an accomplished but unheralded street photographer.</p>

<p>I agree that Maier shots do not seem so fascinating to me. The "angle" seems to be the amazing fact that one can be a nanny,.. and yet still enjoy photography! ! Somehow people find it interesting that she could have a second life as a photographer. I'm not sure why this is so special: this applies to all of us. They're not bad and an interesting time capsule, but I'm not sure they are worthy of all the fuss.</p>
Robin Smith

Bill and Robin, you should take a look at her photographs in the book that's out. The richness of the

prints doesn't show up online. I agree that a few of the photographs aren't great, but that's an editing

issue. Her work is worthy of the coverage it's gotten IMO. Part of that is that it was undiscovered, but it's

good work, and it describes well the era.

<p>Perhaps it is a matter of which shots have been released and in what media.</p>

<p>Some of the Maier shots that I've seen are exceptionally well composed and have something to them that makes my jaw drop. Many that I've seen are confrontational: the photographer interacting with the subject in a way that the subjects look concerned, even stalked. I dislike these kinds of photographs, no matter the photographer. Still others do not touch me at all.</p>

<p>Nevertheless, what I've seen is good enough that I'd be a very happy person to have a fraction of her talent.</p>

<p>Regarding her life as a nanny: I don't find that interesting in the least. I find her war years in Europe more fascinating because I know nothing about her experiences there during that tumultuous time. Reading Roman Vishniac's travails as a photojournalist in mid-30s Eastern Europe, I shudder to think how her life was during this time.</p>

<p>Maier's photos, especially her self portraits, are remarkable when considered within the context of her life and the era in which she lived. Absent that context, you might as well be looking at a meme image macro without having any sense of the zeitgeist inherent to such pop culture references. Maier speaks to a specific niche and her message comes across very clearly to me. If you want to understand a language, immerse yourself in it and the culture.</p>

<p>Al Kaplan's self portraiture reflected a more sociable, gregarious nature, very different from the sense of quiet desperation to have mattered in life implied in some of Maier's self portraits.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...