Problems shooting tethered

katebenson

<p>I tried shooting tethered yesterday, my Canon 5d Mii to my Macbook Pro. <br>

The computer could not recognize my camera. I tried connecting with Lightroom, Bridge, Canon Image Capture, and even downloaded and tried with Capture One. No luck on any of them. <br>

At one point, after shooting to my card for a bit I plugged the camera back in and the images shot to the card were recognized but was still not able to get my camera recognized.<br>

Do I need a different cord, did i buy the wrong one? I've been googling this problem and haven't had any luck. Has anyone had issues like this? I would love to know if there is a fix for this.<br>

Thanks to anyone, a hundred times! I'm so frustrated. :(</p>

<p>You should be using a standard USB 2.0 cable (I have a 5m cable that works fine).<br /><br />I've used this method (<a href="http://evankafka.com/sensorsensibility/tethered-capture/">link</a>) and it seems to work very well, especially given the latest Canon Utility version that transfers only jpegs while RAW files are stored on the card. This greatly improves transfer and display times.<br /><br />If your 5D Mk ii isn't being recognized then you may need to tweak the communication setting. If I recall correctly, my old-school Mk I has a menu option that must be set to "PC connect." (under Communication) in order for it to sync when tethered. Sorry I can't be more specific about the Mk II, I'm sure someone will chime in with advice.</p>

<p>I have a 7D and shoot tethered with the Canon EOS Utility and then do a first pass edit in Canon's Digital Photo Professional software. However, it appears that the 5D cannot use the EOS Utility. From what you describe, it looks like currently your Mac is seeing the camera's card and it treating it as just another hard disk? Is that right? If that is the case then it might be worth checking if the Canon Image Capture Utility is compatible with the 5D. If it isn't that might explain the problem. I have not tried to talk directly to Lightroom and Bridge with my camera (although I do use them), so I cannot really offer any you any further thoughts.<br>

Can you successfully print an image directly from the camera if you plug it into a printer?</p>

<p>Rob, Thanks for the correction/update on the EOS Utility and compatibility with 5D. It is really terrific software to use, so I would definitely recommend downloading and trying it.</p>