Which to buy? spectraview or just colormunki display

<p>So, after lots of troubleshooting and wasted prints, I've found that my old Dell monitor cannot be calibrated in windows 7 since it lacks drivers for windows 7 and my spyder2pro doesn't work in w7 either.<br>

So, I've been researching calibrators and screens. I've narrowed it down to 3 options. I'd appreciate it if you could 'steer' me in the best direction.<br>

<br />1) NEC P221 -SV. comes with the spectraview 2 software and NEC/i1display pro puck $677<br>

2)NEC P221. $408 + colormunki display/color checker bundle $219<br>

3)Dell U2410 $450 + colormunki display/color checker bundle $219</p>

<p>Note, the NEC monitors won't come with warrantys probably since I'd order them from the states (I'm in Japan). The Dell is a Japanese Dell.<br>

Anyways, it comes down to <br>

1) is the spectraview software really worth it? Would just the NEC monitor and colormunki display be fine?<br>

I am aware of the differences between the i1display pro and the colormunki display. I have a home studio (which I haven't started to use yet) and need accurate prints, but I'm a beginner in color calibration. I just want something that is easy to use and does a decent job, hence the colormunki display. The auto white balance on my nikon d300 is horrid so the color checker is something I want to pick up, and with the bundle it's half price.<br>

Lastly, I'm worried about legacy issues with the NEC oem puck (since having my monitor and color calibrator rendered useless by upgrading to windows 7!). I'm worried about having to replace the screen in the future and not being able to use it, while I could use the color munki display.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>I have the Dell U2410 and the ColorMunki and they work great for me under Win 7 64-bit. Of course, I've had them for about 6 months now and <em>National Geographic</em> hasn't called once.... Not sure what to make of that.</p>

<p>(I live in the US, but I'm typing this from Fukuoka. Cloudy and gray today, but I still just got back from shoooting. Small world.)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My bad; you're right. The SV software will NOT work w/ CM Display unit but will work w/ the I1Display (same physical unit). This is a marketing decision on XRite's part to not release the programming/access information to the 3rd party software mfgrs.</p>

<p>You can dowload the SV users manual which lists the pucks you can use from necdisplay.com</p>

<p>The ColorMunki display and the i1Dispaly Pro are identical hardware, expect for some chip that disables the Munki from being used in SpectraView. Just get the bundled NEC Colorimeter (an i1Dislay-2) and SpectraView bundle. </p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P3OGZG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001P3OH1O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DWDMNA0V2WD2NWW4PKC</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>Do you know if the new NEC colorimeter is in fact 'tuned' like the old one was? Or is it a generic unit w/ an NEC logo?</p>

</blockquote>

I believe it is tuned for the panel but this is less an issue with this instrument anyway. Unlike older Colorimeters, X-rite designed this new device for updating the filter matrices (how one does this besides X-rite or their OEM’s I have no idea).

<p><a name="pagebottom"></a></p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>so, the NEC bundled puck is actually just an i1display2? I was assuming it was an i1display pro. Ah, just checked the product photos and it is an i1display 2. However I found this kit:<br>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P3OGZG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3SNNXCKUIW1O2<br>

which has the i1display pro. So, since having the spectraview is essential, I am looking at a difference between the i1display 2 bundled or i1display pro bundled for a difference of $128</p>

<p>Marc, other than the branding on the device, the bundled i1D-2 is identical to X-Rite’s. If you can get a better deal buying the instrument and software separately, do that. </p>

<p>Thanks for all the advice Andrew. It's cheaper for me to get it bundled with the monitor, however it seems that with the monitor it's the NEC/i1display 2, but in the spectraview 2 pro kit (just the colorimeter & software) it seems to be the NEC/i1display pro. On the NEC site it says it's the i1display 2, yet on the B&H user comments, someone mentioned that it was the i1display pro. The reason why I was hesitating was that in online reviews the newer version seems way better than the i1display 2.<br />But I've decided to get the kit bundled with the tv instead of spending more</p>

<p>edit: actually Andrew, the link that you posted on page 1 of this thread links to the pro kit, but the picture is for the i1display pro</p>

<p>update: just as I was about to order the monitor with sv bundle I noticed an intel icon in my taskbar. I clicked on it to find that it was the graphics controller and I could actually adjust the colours on my Dell (I had been unable to in the nvidia monitor profile). So, I just ordered the i1display pro, and if the monitor does indeed prove to be unreliable then I can just order the NEC monitor and the spectraview software separately.<br>

Thanks for all the advice!</p>

<p>Grrr. I have the PA301W without the SV and i1Pro bundle. I didn't get the bundler because I already have an i1Pro. I live in Thailand. I've been waiting 8 weeks now for NEC to try and get me the SV s/w on a "special request". They say it is not sold in Asia. The only web-site I could find only allows purchases from within the US and thus the need for this special request. Truly bizarre given it's made in Japan.</p>

<p>So I was forced to (temporarily) use bitTorrent to get SV and calibrate. Anyhow, I've been comparing with my Eizo and the calibration is good, and will post detailed comparisons later.</p>

<p>I point this out because NEC support is absolutely horrible, and you might find you cannot buy SV even in Japan. In other words, if you don't have an i1Pro already, might as well just get the bundle and save the hassle.</p>