Licensing and copyright release

ernest1

<p>Can anyone tell me where I can find some good standard licensing and copyright release forms. While I have mastered (said jokingly) the photography side of, well photogrpahy, its the business side that I still find so intimidating. I recently was choosen to do some commercial work for a major telecomm firm and while the job itself will be a relative breeze for me I want to have all my ducks in a row so to speak on the business side as to not look like a fool. Any help is greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>I've used <em>Business and Legal Forms for Photographers</em> by Tad Crawford, on the occasions I've needed a contract. He gives information and advice on making sure it's done correctly and completely. Link below</p>

<p><a href="http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=business+and+legal+forms+for+photographers&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=949&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9618800678723662612&sa=X&ei=VicAUPC_IcmB0QHat7DdBw&ved=0CGQQ8wIwAA">http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=business+and+legal+forms+for+photographers&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=949&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9618800678723662612&sa=X&ei=VicAUPC_IcmB0QHat7DdBw&ved=0CGQQ8wIwAA</a></p>

<p>That having been said—and others will tell you the same—you should always consult an attorney, regardless of the provenance of your forms and contract, in order to be certain they're legal in the jurisdiction where you work.</p>

<p>Cheers!</p>

<p>I too used Crawford's book and forms. But I had an attorney review them before using them. He said there was a lot of CYA stuff in the releases (model and property) that wasn't necessary or even useful. My lawyer mad substantial changes to Crawford's contract, noting especially that compensation wasn't mentioned!</p>

<p>You can find similar contracts and releases in John Harrington's book "Best Business Practices for Photographers" and the ASMP publication "Professional Business Practices in Photography." Both may be available in your public library.</p>

<p>I suggest reading at least one of those books to get a grasp of how photography business is conducted. That will ease your dealings with your client. If they are a major corporation, they will be accustomed to dealing with photographers in that manner.</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>When it comes to copyright and licensing you will always want to content an attorney. However, there are a large number of resources you can use in order to understand the process. <br>

The U.S. Copyright office has some good resources that may be what you are looking for. Be sure to check your state laws too as I believe they vary. </p>