Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.... missing pictures

raybrizzi

<p>I took a full SD card full of pictures today and it worked fine. There was still stuff going on, so I took another card that had pictures from November (with a K-10D) and another 150 or so from earlier this month. The pictures I took after that today are not there. On the train, I tried to take one as a test, and this time it created a folder with today's date on it and it was there, but then it was gone again.<br>

<br />Pays to know that you have to format with a K5, I guess. (which I did but I guess I forgot).<br>

<br />The available photos went from 34 down to 15 as I was taking them, which means there are about 30 shots missing. Anybody know any tools that can recover them?</p>

Since you have not said that you erased images or formatted the card, I would think that all of the image files would be accessible. How are

you viewing the file structure? The reason for the decrease in the number of image capacity is that K-5 files are a lot larger. Once a folder

reaches a certain number of files, the camera creates a new folder. You can control the naming of the folder in the menus to an extent.

A data recovery utility may be overkill. Maybe not, as I don't quite understand your situation clearly.

ME

<p>Taking pictures with a Casio 3 years old camera model, then moving the card to a brand new Casio camera model, ruined most of the old pictures, and few of the new. Insisted on formatting the card with old pictures upon insertion to the new camera, but this was denied in hope to preserve the old pictures on the card, yet it managed to do a lot of damage.</p>

<p>Assumption that Casio old and new cameras would use compatible picture handling was wrong.</p>

<p>You had pictures taken with K-10D, and then moved that card into K5, and was hoping that old pictures could be preserved ? or the camera will not format or clean up the card ?</p>

<p>Puting a card with pictures into another camera most likely will invite problems, even if it is the same brand of camera but different model.</p>

<p>I tried two of the programs but they were coming up with file sizes that were 131k in size and big ones with no file information. It was only about 40 pictures at the end of the shoot. The first 350 were on a newly formatted card and no trouble there. I'll take this as a lesson learned and save the program names for the future. What's weird is that I had already taken about 75 pictures with the K5 on the car already and they are fine.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I had similar occurence with Sony equipment, but since learned hard, I always format memory card in the camera, if that card was previously used on a different camera model or brand. Or I try not to share memory cards between camera models. By mostly using 32 GB cards, there is less need for cards swapping.</p>

<p>This seems to be one of possible explanations...</p>

<p>It appears that there are some scheduled events that trigger camera re-evaluation of remaining memory space, or remaining battery charge, camera state of health, etc. that they do not happen after each shot as is not necessary, but at some number of exposure count later or time interval, or at subsequent camera power On event.</p>

<p>When camera re-evaluates periodically some state of own health, then it could trigger some action, depending on the findings. It may not necessarily act immediately, but delay some action into a bit later event, so you could get a number of shots, when camera does not suspect anything unusual about the state, yet.</p>

<p>If the memory state is found "odd" - e.g. like some data recorded by a different camera model was encountered, or some extra files, or a not native camera files that current camera coud not possibly produce, etc. it may take some cleaning action a bit later, upon next or next after next camera state re-evaluation. </p>

<p>Having pictures from 2 different cameras on the card was seen by you as a normal thing, but the later camera could have found the other camera created file as trash.</p>

<p>Camera must do the memory management on the card, since you are allowed to remove pictures selectively, and take pictures at different camera picture size setting, take video clips, etc. Adding picture files from yet another model of camera could possibly overtax the camera memory management ability ?</p>

<p> </p>