Where to begin in photography

<p>There are several good resources...check out the learning tabs at the top of this page, and get a good book on general photography from your local library or bookstore....even if it is outdated, the basics will still be there. Good luck and enjoy the fine world of photography.</p>

<p>Well, photography is a long and beautiful road! People today are lucky: even the cameras in their mobile phones are good. And good digital cameras are cheap. This matters because you can start learning with minimal expenditure. Mistakes cost you almost nothing.</p>

<p>Remember to look at lots of photos. Get some magazines with good photography (e.g. <em>National Geographic</em>, <em>Vogue</em> etc.) and absorb as much as you can. And just take lots and lots of photos. It doesn't matter if they are rubbish. You have to start somewhere.</p>

<p>Be as daring and imaginative as possible. :-)</p>

<p>Start with reading the manual that came with the camera. Next get a good basic photography book. My favorites are, "Understanding Photography Field Guide", by Bryan Peterson, "National Geographic Complete Photography", and "Take Your Best Shot", by Popular Photography. Read it topic by topic. Don't try to absorb too much at once. After you read a topic go out and do some shooting. When you have questions ask us. You can also post some photos here for comment.</p>

<p>Most of all, don't get discouraged if your photos aren't what you hoped for. It takes time and practice. And don't forget to have fun.</p>

<p>Where to begin in photography? Take lots of photographs. Shoot as frequently as possible, in as many different settings as you can manage. Shoot and review and shoot and review and shoot some more.</p>

<p>Books and other teaching materials will make sense only when you are actively involved in making photographs and when you are experiencing photographic PROBLEMS on a regular basis. You can't understand the solution until you understand the problem. A book on baking cakes won't make sense to someone who has never seen an oven.</p>

<p>So go out and use your camera. Use any camera. And make some mistakes. Make lots of mistakes. Make BIG mistakes. Then come home and try to understand why those mistakes occurred and how to avoid them the next time.</p>

<p>Hi David, Thanks for your reply. I am not sure which area of photography. But I want to shoot nice photos, if I saw any nice view or location or imagination. Simply saying general photography. I am not learning to do it for money. I just want to see OTHERS, what i saw and to see happiness in their eyes.</p>

<p>When choosing a camera two things to consider are how deeply you want to get involved in photography and how much do you want to spend. Photography can get very expensive but it doesn't have to. Can you give us an idea of how much you want to spend (in US dollars please)?</p>

<p>There are a degree of varying responses when it comes to this topic, but my research always leads me to any model of the Canon Powershot. Not only is it a great camera overall, but it's super simple to use and the quality is amazing.</p>

<p>It basically does all the work for you.</p>

<p>keh.com is a very big, very reliable used camera dealer in the US. I'm most familiar with Nikon so I checked what they had in Nikon DSLR's in your price range that would be good. They have a 14 return period and they give a 6 month warranty. You can ask them if they deliver to India. I found: (LN- means Like New and EX means Excellent). All come with a battery and charger. They are listed under Nikon Digital Camera Outfits.<br>

D3100 with 18-55 VR lens in LN- condition for $429</p>

<p>D40x with 18-55 VR in LN- for $379 and EX for $339</p>

<p>D50 with 18-55 VR in EX for $264</p>

<p>If you don't want a DSLR there are several good bridge cameras (also called superzooms) that sell in the US for between $200 and $500. There are also several high end P&S cameras for well under $500.</p>

<p>What are you interested in photographing?</p>

<p>Hi Mark, Very much happy to see your response. Thanks for your time too. I am not particular to any category in photography. I want to capture the moments, places, nature etc... If I feel it that It must be share to others, then I need to snap that scene. So I have to learn and even I missed most of them till now and I don't want loose them in future.</p>

<p>I searched for cameras and I found the following to be good:<br>

<a title="Nikon D3200 SLR with 18-55 mm VR Kit Lens (Red)" href="http://www.flipkart.com/nikon-d3200-slr/p/itmda6rk4qb3krp8?pid=CAMDAA2SJNRTNMZK" target="_blank">Nikon D3200 SLR with 18-55 mm VR Kit Lens</a><br>

<a title="Nikon D5100 SLR with AF-S 18-55mm VR Kit Lens (Black)" href="http://www.flipkart.com/nikon-d5100-slr/p/itmczcqzxuws7bgn?pid=CAMCXH4FFUDGAMHS" target="_blank">Nikon D5100 SLR with AF-S 18-55mm VR Kit Lens </a><br>

<a title="Canon EOS 550D SLR with Kit (EF S18-55 IS II) Lens (Black)" href="http://www.flipkart.com/canon-eos-550d-slr/p/itmczc2k4kbwafkc?pid=CAMCVYDJT4RFF96G" target="_blank">Canon EOS 550D SLR with Kit (EF S18-55 IS II) Lens </a><br>

The price is almost near to my budget. I heard that D3200 is good for beginner level. Please tell me which one is best and If there is any, suggest me.</p>

<p>I'm not that familiar with Canon, and I don't know what the EOS550D is called in America. I can tell you that Canon makes very good cameras and within a given price range they are more or less equal in quality with Nikon. Between the D3200 and D5100 I prefer the D3200. It has higher resolution and lower noise. It's a good idea, if possible, to handle the cameras that you are interested in. See how they feel in your hands and how you like their controls. For example, I've handled a couple of Canon DSLR's and I just don't like them. I've also found over the years that if I'm not comfortable with a camera (or lens) at first, I usually never do become comfortable with it.</p>

<p>My D90 has 12MP and my D3100 has 14MP (the D5100 has 16MP) which is plenty. 24MP isn't really necessary, but it does allow you to do even more cropping especially if the cropped image is going to be printed large. I just read the D3200 test in Popular Photography and what surprised me was that even with all those MP it still has lower noise at high ISO's than the D5100 or D3100.</p>

<p>Of the Nikon's I would recommend the D3200 if you can afford it. It has the highest resolution and the lowest noise. However you wouldn't go wrong with any of the cameras you listed.</p>