When is it and how to take flash photo.

taino_andino

Hi guys,

I was in a found rasin event today. As it was indoors i tried to use my lens with its widest aperture in 55mm wich is f/ 5.6 and an iso of 800

to get decent pictures but not quiete what i like as movement on peaople almost ruined my sharpness everytime. How and which settings

should i use to take a flash photo, in this case im using the in camera flash for now.

Again i steped out for a little as my brother put on a costume and i wanted to take some pics of him. It was around 630pm sun was low

but didnt manage to get him and the sky exposure at the same time... I exposed for the sky and recompose and use the flash to get him

but it wasnt that pleasent. I dont know how to use my flash and with wich settings and if my. Flash aint siuted for the job...

PD: im shooting in manual.

Please help, i know you all have some tups on this :)

Thanks,

Taino

<p>That's 'fund-raising'. :-D Anyway, I'll try to answer the first question. I need to know what camera you own. Because some cameras can go to ISO 6400 and give very good results.</p>

<p>If you are using the camera's built-in flash, you are going to be limited. It doesn't have enough power. So, I think that your only choice is to use a high ISO setting if you want to avoid blur.</p>

<p>But, there is an alternative solution: slow-sync flash. Your exposure is 1/2 a second or 1 second, with flash. So you have a lot of blur - and at the same time, a sharp image of your subject. Here are some examples: http://www.exposureguide.com/slow-sync-flash.htm</p>

<p>I am not sure how to answer your second question. Maybe you should put your camera in automatic mode when you are using flash? Try and experiment with different settings - most cameras allow you to adjust flash power. Can you post this photo here?</p>

<p>I think Karim may be right, in that although you can learn to shoot in manual mode with your built-in flash you might first try using it in one of the automatic modes until you learn what it is capable of. I am assuming that you are just learning how to use the camera, based on your posting here in the beginners forum. There are a lot of considerations with manual mode, and adding the implications of flash will take time.</p>

<p>Your camera is capable of going to much higher ISO than 800; I believe the D3100 will go to 3200 at least. That is one way to start getting more light into your shots. However, in the image you've linked to you could use some fill-flash, and that will provide coverage for up to 30+ ft depending on your lens setting. Here's an article describing the capability of the built-in flash - it will give some idea of the capability:<br>

<a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3100/D3100FLASH.HTM">http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3100/D3100FLASH.HTM</a></p>

<p>on D3100 I won't hesitate to use iso 1600 to get higher shutter speed, but that's just me since I'm not too critical about noise, and when moment is more precious than quality, that I'll go over that. But for D3100 I think iso 1600 is still safe.</p>

<p>i'm not really a genius on flash usage, most of my usage were based on "feeling" rather than "scientific calculation" which my poor mind can't comprehend :D. but i think on-board flash can give decent result sometimes. Someone might correct me on this, but I suppose when you meter the background the information is used by the camera to adjust your on-board flash output (you are using your flash on ttl mode i suppose), and since the background is bright, the flash won't bother pushing out the juice.</p>

<p>You might try to meter only the subject and use Flash Exposure Compensation accordingly otherwise use the flash in manual mode, so you can adjust the output by yourself. Sometimes you have to take 2 or 3 pictures of a scene to see how they'll work, it's not a crime, you just need to convince your subjects to stay put.</p>

<p>Or don't use the flash, position the scene so that your back is toward the sunset (or any other light source) the light wall fall on your subjects faces, you'll get better metering and the result will look more natural (watch you white balance though).</p>

<p>I think there are two reasons why people use flash: to brighten up the dark in places where theavailable light is not sufficient, and because it is their style.</p>

<p>To brighten up the dark essentially you need light, and you can't be picky, if on board flash is what you have, than that's what you'll use.</p>

<p>Talking about style, well... you have to walk the walk, buy a separate flash, try to use them in any way possible, lots of reading and practice (and painful failures) entails.</p>

<p>There are of course some practitioners who pledge to never use any flash, some of them are quite prominent photographers. It's just the same, one of the way to get beautiful images, only a different path, and a slightly different set of equipment since they would choose camera with high ISO capabilities (relative to the cameras in particular generation) and lenses with wide apertures, particularly primes. But most importantly is their ability to seek available light and use it to their whim.</p>

<p>"if my. Flash ain't suited for the job..." There are people who think that to do ANY job properly one would need at least two D4, a set of lenses with golden ring on them and nine SB 910 with dedicated power packs... to each his own though. As for me, I don't buy it (... or more accurately: I can't buy it) Good look.</p>