Tour Agency Wants To Use My Images

bob___10

<p>I had posted several images from my trip to Myanmar on a travel forum. I received a request from an agency to use some images for the following purpose:</p>

<p>Thank you for your response.<br />For photos, we will use to post in our gallery and it will be posted with your name or your signature on the photo. We would like to ask your permission also to use some of your photo for the our newspaper online for myanmar tours if possible.<br>

I am not looking for compensation, but how do I give a "limited use" type of permission, as far as length of time? Does that make sense?<br>

Also, how should I sign or stamp the images? How do you copyright the image or protect it from being copied?</p>

<p>Thank you,</p>

<p>Bob</p>

<p><em>"I am not looking for compensation, but how do I give a "limited use" type of permission, as far as length of time? "</em></p>

<p>You start the ball rolling by simply writing them and stating that you would be willing to grant them a license to use your images for the following length of time, for the following purposes / markets / etc. I would go on to specifically point out that use of your images outside of this time period, use for other purposes, etc. is specifically excluded and must be renegotiated.</p>

<p>You said that you are not interested in compensation, but asking for a nominal payment, even if it is only $1, may give you a sense of whether they understand and will honor business arrangements with photographers.</p>

<p>If they accept the above terms in principle, you have established the groundwork for a formal contract, which you can then send separately for their signature. Sources of suggested text for such contracts have been given in earlier threads on this topic in photo.net.</p>

<p>HTH,</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>PS - It's up to you whether or not to use traditional contractual / legal terms such as "non exclusive license" in your initial informal communication with them. Doing so conceivably might scare them away, but it would also give you a very good idea if they are used to working with photographers.</p>

<p>Check out Alamy. You can set up an account as a seller and sell your images. The nice thing about having a seller account is you can also click on different images and set various options and get a price. When I want to sell an image that is what I do. I ask the buyer what they want to use it for and then I check on Alamy what a rights managed image goes for under that criteria. I don't necessiarily sell the image through Alamy. I just use their calculator to get a price to see where the market is.</p>

<p>Whatever you do do not sell the image Royalty Free. Make sure it is Rights Managed. Also don't give it away for free. If it's worth them using it's worth them paying for it. You can negotiate a rate. Think about it. If they pay you $200 that's $200 towards a new body or lens. If they are a small agency on a limited budget you can be merciful and charge them less but don't give them perpetual worldwide rights for everything.</p>

<p>I was contacted by a brochure printer about using my photo of Niagara Falls. No payment, my name, ok, I agreed. It's handed out to visitors at ticket booth. Also, PBS used my photo of Coney Island without warning or permission in their article about NYC. The man said an intern liked the photo so just used it. how nice.</p>