Royal 35P

<p>Another one of the abandoned cameras I found in the junk box from my family's camera store days. I don't believe this one was working when it was brought in during the early to mid 80's. During that time customers often brought us old cameras to put on display. This one never made it. At first glance, this Royal 35P doesn't look too bad. It could easily be listed for sale with the caption reading "it looks like it should work". Unlike the later Royal models that I researched, this one only goes to 1/300 second, but it does have the 45mm f1.9 lens, though. The film advance cocks the shutter, but the blades don't open, although I do hear a faint click when I press the shutter release. The dented filter ring seems to proclude easy access to the front elements. Not sure where to start in reviving this one, but it would be fun to try. Anyway, here's a couple of quick (so-so) shots of the beast.</p><div>00a9Nz-450797584.jpg.cda320e6c2e9b82e32ff4a20e2c58bd8.jpg</div>

<p>I just love Japanese cameras of this style and era, <strong>Mike</strong>, as you may have noticed. In fact, I'm considering bidding on a similar camera tonight. Nice lens, and easing out the ding in the filter ring may not be too much of a drama. I'd be delighted if you could get it sorted, clean it up and show us a few photographs. You might be very pleasantly surprised...</p>

<p>I wonder if that's the same lens I have on my Ricoh Five One Nine. I had read somewhere (maybe here) that the 45 mm f1.9 was common on several brands but made by one manufacturer. If so, it is a fine performer and worth the repair of the camera. </p>

<p>Royal 35's are very easy to work on. To get to the shutter, just unscrew the whole lens front assembly (usually by just grasping outside the chrome ring in front of the distance scale, no need for a tool for this). Don't have to remove black bezel or disassemble the front elements.</p>

<p>Royal was one of those small Japanese camera makers that came up in the latter half of the fifties, then it disappeared (or morphed into just doing accessories). But in the 4-5 years it made cameras, it set a worldwide network of exporters/distributors. Royal rebranded its cameras for Ogikon, Hanimex, Wirgin, Mansfield, Brumberger and a few more. Check out Colin J Clarke's Royal Camera Museum pages to see how worldwide they got.</p>

<p>Royal made its initial splash with its 35 'no-name' and 35-S advanced cameras. Then it settled in with the simpler 35M, 35LE and 35P (and all those rebrands), which were all built on the same chassis with or without lightmeters. Noticed that your 35P has a buff on the RC badge, my 35P suffers from the same. You should go for the fix, they're neat solid little cameras. Best of luck.</p>

<p>Update on 35P: Worked on shutter with Ronsenol (spelling?). I can move the blades with shutter locked on B, but it promptly closes if I release the blades. So the shutter won't open on its one regardless of speed setting. Perhaps the part that applies force to the shutter blades is either weak or broken? I will continue my efforts anyway.<br>

On the plus side, another old camera, a Tower 10A that was in the same box, seems to function after light cleaning. It has a Mamiya 48mm f2.8 lens, coupled selenium meter, shutter speeds from 1 to 1/500 second. Rangefinder works although I haven't checked accuracy. From a brief google, I found that this camera was made somewhere around 1960 or so. This camera was traded in to the family camera store when a customer wanted to buy a later model rangefinder. I think he bought either a Yashica GSN or a Konica Auto S3. I will run a roll of film through the Tower and post results when I have the time.</p>