Using AI 200 f4 on D300

charles_swanson1

<p>I have had so many AF zooms, and I'm never really happy. I LOVE the size and performance of the AI 200/f4, but I am a little concerned about manual focus on the D300 with a telephoto. I use manual short AI lenses on the D300 all the time, but subjects are close and bright. Before I buy another AI 200/f4, does anybody have experience with this lens on a DSLR. It focus an issue?</p>

<p>No direct experience with the 200/4 Ai on a DSLR - but I use a F-mount modified Apo-Telyt 180/3.4 on a D200 and D300 - manual focusing is not an issue - if you have your viewfinder diopter set properly and - if applicable - wear the proper glasses or contacts that allow you to see sharp at about 1m (3 feet) - the apparent distance the viewfinder image is at.</p>

<p>I own both the lens and the D300, no problem focusing manually. You just have to be carefull when using it wide open at shorter distances, but focus confirmation of the D300 helps. No issues, I love the lens, it's small, light and tack sharp.</p>

<div>00a60S-447447684.jpg.3afc37ccd763fd8f21042147e2ce22b2.jpg</div>

<p>Sure! I use the lens all the time. One of my favorite old timers. I gave up on the 200mm f/4 when I owned a non-AI version. It just wasn't very good, optically. Then, on a whim, I bought a 200mm f/4 "BGN" at KEH a couple of years ago (looked brand new, except for one single tiny rub mark), and essentially retired my 180mm f/2.8 (though it's a killer lens too). But the 200mm f/4 is an absolute pleasure to use. Off hand, the wind mill pics in my color section of my portfolio, is with this lens.</p>