D7000 and Intervalometer

diane_madura

<p>I am planning on photographing star trails. My plan is to stack 30 second photos.</p>

<p>In researching using the intervalometer, I've read that the interval I set has to exceed the shutter speed. </p>

<p>So I found that when I set the shutter speed to 30 seconds and the interval to 31 seconds, the shutter works fine...once. The second photo doesn't start until 31 seconds later. OK, so I thought maybe I was setting the intervalometer incorrectly. So I set it for 2 as well as 5 seconds, and the shutter doesn't trip a second time.</p>

<p>Has anyone used the intervalometer on their D7000 for star trails? What should I do? I hope I'm not relegated to tripping the shutter myself, using the electronic cable release, for every frame.</p>

<p>Please help.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Diane, try turning noise reduction off and the camera should behave as expected. </p>

<p>Noise reduction ON will cause the camera to take a second (dark frame) exposure automatically, immediately after the initial exposure, thus will not respond to external commands. </p>

<p>Thanks for your response, Michael. The camera responds as I originally described whether long exposure noise reduction is on or not. Perhaps the dark frame will be taken at the end of the series? I don't know because I haven't had the whole series finish since there's no point because I don't want 31 seconds between exposures as it is doing. Perhaps I will call Nikon for an answer.</p>

<p>This may not help, but the manual says that there may be an interval between the shot being recorded and the start of the next shot, and it says the interval may vary. Maybe try making the interval more than 1 second longer than your exposure time, like 35 or 36 seconds for a 30 second exposure.</p>