Taking my camera abroad

<p>Hi there<br>

I am a photography student from London but I am going on a four day trip to Amsterdam next week and I am a bit worried about taking my cameras on a plane.<br>

I have an old digital SLR (which I am keeping in my hand luggage) and a Medium Format Film TLR (which I am keeping in my hand luggage because I am using it in a project and if it goes missing I am in huge amounts of trouble. But it seems silly not to take your medium format camera to Amsterdam...right?)<br>

Anyway that basically fills up my hand luggage but I also have 2 35mm film SLRs and loads of film so I decided I may as well take one of them as if the worst happens I know I have one at home and also I may as well use the film as I have it.<br>

I am just wondering whether it will be safe in my main baggage? It have a really good and secure case I can put it in but I wonder if there is anything that might damage it?<br>

I also wondered if its ok to leave film in your main baggage? <br>

And I may as well ask if anyone has been to Amsterdam - do you have any tips of places to go? And are there plenty of places to buy film/batteries? <br>

If anyone can help it would be amazing!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Put your film only in your carry on luggage, and don't worry about it being damaged. You probably would not have any problems with putting your cameras in your checked luggage, but I always hand carry my cameras with me on the plane. If you bag is lost, so are your cameras. I have been to Amsterdam several times, and never had a problem with photographing the city. I especially like photographing the people on bikes, and never had a problem. You might encounter someone in the red light district who does not want you photographing them or their business. I always bring all my film with me on a trip ,so can't help you with places to buy film. If you look at my PN portfolio there are photos from Amsterdam in it. I hope this helps. </p>

<p>Hi Emily,<br /> Back in the film days I always took my camera + film in my carry on luggage, mainly because the main luggage will be X-rayed with more energy and because I don't want to run the risk of losing it. You will have a direct flight to Amsterdam (I assume) so there's minimal risk of losing your luggage but Amsterdam does not have the best track record in this respect.<br /> You only have 4 days in Amsterdam and you can easily come back some time later. I wouldn't take too much stuff - it will be a hassle to use digital, 35 mm and medium format. I'd leave one of these at home but YMMV.<br /> Buying batteries won't be too much of a problem, especially not AA-s and other frequently used ones. Film will be a bit more difficult, I assume that consumer type 35 mm film can still be bought in tourist/photo shops, professional and medium format will take more effort and time. I have never bought film in Amsterdam but a google search will show the place where they have it in stock.<br /> I live in the Netherlands, in the south so rather far away from Amsterdam but I come there regularly. Last January together with some friends we had a walk in Amsterdam Noord over the Nieuwendammerdijk (an old village/dike which is annexed by Amsterdam), via Schellingwoude, Durgerdam and Ransdorp. The latter are 2 old Dutch villages in the typical Noord-Holland style. About 15 kms in total but you can do it quicker if you rent a bike. Mail me if you're interested in the GPS tracks, which can be shown on Google Earth.<br /> Apart from that of course the regular tourist attractions are worth a visit. Enjoy your trip.</p><div>00a72u-448431584.jpg.c6aa229835c88c7e04517a5aee04f35c.jpg</div>

If you've ever read The Diary of Anne Frank, the Anne Frank house is a must. I've been several times and it seemed to me to be a lttle hokey as various groups have latched onto it for their own ends but still worth seeing for what it was. Wandering around the canals is great as is renting a bike if the weather is good.

<p>Two observations: That seems like a lot of stuff to take on a 4-day trip. Second, with only four days, it might be a good idea to plan or think about what you want to photograph besides the usual postcard cliche's, unless that's what you want, of course. </p>

<p>Never, never, never, put a camera into checked luggage. At the very least, it will be banged around -- have you ever seen how luggage gets tossed on and off of the conveyer belts going onto the plane? The bags could get lost. And there's a very real chance of it being stolen -- a friend had an iPad stolen out of checked luggage just a month or two ago. It's OK to put something like a tripod or light stand into checked luggage. It's sturdy enough not to be damaged, the casual thief doesn't know its value and if it gets lost you can probably still work without it. Film? Only in carry-on. Some will dispute whether the X-ray machines your carry on goes through will damage film but the airlines admit outright that the higher-level X-ray used for checked luggage is guaranteed to ruin film, not just cause minor fogging. Finally, decide on one camera. If you specifically need to medium format and will be using it there for your project, take it and leave the others. Otherwise I would take the digital so as not to have to even think about x-ray issues, buying film or processing. But definitely take it in carryon. If need be, check your clothing -- less valuable usually and easier to replace.</p>

<p>I once carried a suitcase of Christmas gifts in my luggage when visiting family abroad. There wasn't anything particularly fancy or valuable -- just the usual sweaters and stuff. My empty suitcase was recovered 6 months later at an air terminal half way around the world from where it should have been. I would NEVER NEVER NEVER (to echo how Craig put it) think even a moment of packing anything valuable inside a checked bag. Remember that nowadays (unlike back when I had my experience), all bags are X-rayed. You think the helpful baggage handlers wouldn't recognize a camera?</p>

<p>I'll add to Craig's precautions about banging that checked luggage gets incredibly cold. It's quite probable that your camera(s) and lens(es) will get frosty on the inside -- not just cold, but with actual frozen condensation. An acquaintance of mine seriously damaged an exotic piano that way, flying it from Australia to the US.</p>

<p>I can echo the last 2 posts. I have a very sturdy suitcase, and somehow they managed to get a bump in it - it must have been serious force. Most likely happened at Schiphol airport. I would not have liked lenses in that suitcase, really.<br>

And like many said, I'd also just take one camera. Some parts of Amsterdam (centre) can be crowded, and then carrying a DSLR, SLR and TLR is not going to make your life much easier. Also, what Luis said: 4 days is not that much to get familiar enough with Amsterdam to take your very best shots, so probably what you shoot in these 4 days will not be the best you can. I'd choose the DSLR to be able to grab enough nice shots, and then (once back home) consider where you really need to go next time with your TLR. So, use this trip to get to know Amsterdam, enjoy it, and then go there a second time to work on better photos. London - Amsterdam is not that expensive.</p>

<p>Worth considering if you like the old architecture of Amsterdam, is catching a train to Haarlem. Both railway stations are quite pretty, and the centre of Haarlem is at least as nice looking, but far more relaxed and quiet. Delft is also very nice - but neither are that very energetic Amsterdam streets and all that. Depends on what you like best.</p>

<p>Since you are a photography student, I'd say: 'Take along that TLR'. Use your eyes during the strolls and capture the moments. Your set-up seems OK to me. These are short flights between London and Amsterdam, where little can go wrong. I guess more important are good shoes, since you will walk a lot in Amsterdam.<br>

Get up early for a couple of hours in the Van Gogh museum, catch the tram to the Noordermarkt and wander through the Jordaan (check out Cafe Thijssen). The neighbourhood of the Zoo (Artis, and the Plantagebuurt, Entrepodok) is also very lovely. Take the (free) ferry to the NDSM werf (at the backside of the Central Station, most left). Check the old threads for (more) suggestions and buy a Time Out Magazine Amsterdam (March) at the airport.<br>

What do you want to see? People, architecture or just a couple of days of and some pictures to take. As described above, you can concentrate on a number of sights. Or just enjoy the city. And the beer. Time is limited and the weather can be bad (check the weather!). Just prepare yourself. Sights outside Amsterdam are also wonderful, but it is only four days.<br>

In the city center are some (semi) professional shops which sell almost everything you need (Nivo Schweitzer at the end of the Haarlemmerstraat, Foto Amsterdam near the Dam and there's a shop too in the Spuistraat).<br>

Most of all, enjoy your stay. It's worthwhile to drop by for another time.</p>