A "What is it?" thread

<p>We haven't had one of these in a while. Try to identify the objects in the images posted by others and / or add one of your own.</p>

<p>I'll start with the attached image. It's a JPG taken straight from the camera with the only changes being cropping and down-rez'ing to 700 px for display in this forum.</p>

<p>Tom M</p><div>00aIxO-460307584.jpg.cd85ac3aacb3e066c7df1540149d3f70.jpg</div>

<p>Mark, you nailed it on the 1st try by ID'ing mine as the inside of a thermos bottle. Michael, I did nothing to the image, xcept for cropping to a more or less square format and down-rez'ing it for in-line display in this forum. Other than that, it was straight out of a Canon G12 using room light in our kitchen.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Josiah, your photo is both baffling and fascinating. </p>

<p> My best guess is that the orange container is sitting on a table, fresh out of the freezer, and it contains some frozen substance that ruptured the lid, and that swirly stuff is condensation coming off it. </p>

<p>Josiah posted his inscrutible image first, so I won't drop any clues until <em>he</em> does! As for what the heck he has depicted, there - I'm pretty stumped, too. My first reaction was to say it looked like a piece of butter melting in hot water. Though that seems increasingly unlikely given the bit of red involved. Curious!</p>

<p>Josiah's and Matt's images also have me stumped. </p>

<p>I have a feeling Josiah's is something like mixing of paints in a bucket with a piece of semi-hardened film floating on the surface, but I have little confidence in my guess.</p>

<p>For Matt's, I keep thinking that it's probably a honeycomb grid lighting modifier, but the angle looks wrong. I really don't know, but they are both great teaser shots! </p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Ding! Tom wins the prize, and now I don't have to think up a hint. The prize, by the way, is ... the personal gratification that comes with being a smarty-pants and figuring it out. That's all I've got! Here's the larger shot. It's an out-take from a product shooting set-up. We're seeing through the umbrella shaft hole in a monolight's metal reflector. We are indeed seeing a 20-degree honeycomb from <em>within</em> the reflector - which is indeed a wrong-looking angle!</p><div>00aJJI-460623584.jpg.fc5951a2a1a04c2775833f63ec1d77cd.jpg</div>

<p>So THAT's why the angle looks "wrong". I hadn't thought of the possibility of looking through the hole. Thanks for posting the overall view of the scene. No matter what the answer was, I was going to ask if you had such a shot.</p>

<p>Again, a great shot, Matt.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>