Vacation -Photography trip to the State of Washington

enrique_flores

<p>I was living in Vancouver, BC on that day (Mt St Helens eruption) and I still remember hearing a double banging noise that shook our new house as we prepared for church that morning. I thought someone had backed into the side of the house. And that is nearly 200 miles away, I believe.</p>

<p>Mt St Helens is an interesting place to visit, Enrique, as Tom says. We were there in 1985, and again in 1999 and the ability to the landscape to repair itself in even that short a period of time was amazing. We had camped around there prior to the eruption, and it was a stunning experience to go there and see how it had been changed. I agree with Tom about coming in through White Pass after leaving Mt Rainier - it is more dramatic if you get the right weather. </p>

<p>You are getting a lot added to your itinerary - hope you don't try to do too much and miss some of the joy of just enjoying the state.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I would also recommend taking the ferry over to Victoria Island for a day, it's beautiful.</p>

<p>If you have the time - Mt Saint Helen's is pretty amazing place. I was there roughly 10 years after the volcano went. Even at 10 years, there was almost no vegetation, just snapped off trees, volcanic ash. </p>

<p>I would also recommend driving some of the back roads through the forests. I did that for a couple of days - found all sorts of unexpected vistas, waterfalls, streams, rivers.</p>