Pages never finish loading

charedan

Slow browser-side script trying to run ad related gets from a third party. On a Windows machine, just tap the ESC key to halt

the errant script. On iOS devices, I just tap Safari's "X" to halt them. The rest of the page's script-based content, like the

interactive menus, then behave properly. It's annoying, but it's only one click.

<p>Matt, the photo.net pages that never finish loading for me are the lists of the postings of the most active photo.net contributors , such you. For example, if I remember is that you provided some information or advice that I need now, I'm all right if it's one of your most recent 90 postings. But if it's older than that, the search is so long that it always times out. Even changing the time out setting doesn't work for the most active contributors. With Ellis, or you, or Nadine, it's impossible. And often, the most frequent contributors write the most interesting stuff.</p>

<p>It was discussed some reasonable solution that utilizes server cache feature that is there for this purpose.</p>

<p>You need to keep hitting the request repeatidly, few times, sometimes as many as 3 or 4, and if resonably fast repeated - before cache is flashed, then the next result of search request pickes up from where the last one was timed out, and starts with prior result of search from the cache dropped during prior timeout.<br>

This way, with your persistence, you will create list of contributions from members that have over 10000 entries, or any size.</p>

<p>This is not just page loading, but searching entire database of posts, and extracting links into one list, that is why it takes long time. </p>

<p>If I find prior post containng extensive explanation of the problem and behavior, I will post the link. The size of Photo.net database is huge, and the search results take long time. This is nothing like displaying any web page.</p>

<p>Right, let's make the distinction between a fairly lightweight page (like this one) that still spins its wheels because of some JavaScript (running locally on your browser) that involves one of the syndicated ads ... and a page like a member's posting history, which is slow or needs multiple tries because of the heavy lifting that's being done back on the web server.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But if it's older than that, the search is so long that it always times out. Even changing the time out setting doesn't work for the most active contributors. With Ellis, or you, or Nadine, it's impossible. And often, the most frequent contributors write the most interesting stuff.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Matt is right, those queries are really database intensive. There's no easy solution except to give them a couple tries. The "past 90 days" thing solves the issue for most people, but I do realize that not everyone is looking for a post in the past 90 days. It's something that I wish could be improved, but for the moment I'm afraid it cannot.</p>