ETTL flash cable won't work in ETTL (Canon)

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=155</p>

<p>~$38 on Amazon and elsewhere</p>

<p>Wondering if anyone else has tried this set-up, the Pixel Componor PF-801 for Canon, which features a VM-801 controller that fits into the camera hotshoe and can connect up to 3 speedlites with VS-801 receivers via Ethernet cable. Manufacturer states that the master you choose (with the A-B-C selector on the back of the controller) will fire in ETTL mode, but mine only fires full power when flash unit itself is set to ETTL, and the camera menu won't even recognize the flash being connected as it normally does with the conventional coiled ETTL cord. FWIW I'm using a 5DII and 580EXII, the channel I've connected is turned on (and I've tried all three), and the master selector is moved to whatever channel I've connected the flash to. The only thing I haven't tried is connecting for than one flash at a time (but the instructions don't imply that this device is only for 3 flashes at a time, no more no less). I've sent an email to Pixel In Hong Kong and am waiting to hear back....</p>

<p>So is this thing junk, or am I just overlooking something?</p>

<p>Thanks for reading!</p>

<p>UPDATE: A-ha! The ETTL function in fact works with this unit, but only when the flash cable is connected to the "C" port on the VM-801 hotshoe transmitter. I discovered this quirk only after reading a footnote on the Pixel website that Canon ETTL is not supported through the "B" port; it turns out, at least with my unit, ETTL is not supported through the "A" port either. (A little counter-intuitive - if you were to guess which one of the three ports would support ETTL, wouldn't you guess they'd have made it "A" instead of "C"?) If Pixel writes back, maybe they'll also update their instruction manual....</p>

<p>That all seems a bit complicated for something that basically only has to connect 5 contacts at the hotshoe end to 5 contacts at the flash end - i.e. a hotshoe extension cord. So David, what purpose do those A,B & C switches serve (apart from adding confusion)? I'm really curious.</p>

<p>@ Rodeo Joe:</p>

<p>According to manufacturer instructions, only one of the up to 3 wire-connected flashes can be supported at a time by ETTL. The A-B-C switch is supposedly designed to determine which of the three ports will support the single ETTL flash; the remaining two flashes must be adjusted in manual mode (and, as I discovered, if left in ETTL mode, will simply fire at full power).</p>

<p>The manufacturer also advises that, at least on the Canon version, the B port will not support ETTL, regardless. My experience with the one I just bought indicates this lack-of-function extends to the A port as well. Apparently you're best off leaving the ETTL selector switch on C, since it's the only port (at least on my unit) that will support ETTL at any time. In other words, you're exactly right - the ETTL selector switch is basically useless (except for quickly switching your C port flash from ETTL to full power, I suppose). There's also separate on/off switches for each port, which could be useful for quickly testing key/fill/back lights separately.</p>

<p>I know absolutely nothing about the circuitry, so I can't really speculate about the reason for this technical quirk, which the manufacturer states only applies to the Canon version, not to Nikon. I simply wanted a long straight ETTL cable (I also bought a 30-foot ethernet line for $4) to use when infrared triggering is unreliable, and using the C port accomplishes this. I can still connect two other wired flashes in manual mode, or use the wired ETTL flash (a 580EXii in my case) as a master to trigger additional flashes wirelessly. So for about $20 less, it's a slightly more versatile alternative to the OCF Gear straight ETTL cords , as you can potentially add 2 more lines of manual flash, and swap in/out different lengths of ethernet cable depending on your distance.</p>

<p>Ah! That makes slightly more sense being basically a hotshoe to CAT5 adapter. Good idea to have the ability to use a standardised and readily available cable type, but not so sure about the apparently near-useless A,B,C switching. Just watch out you don't get a X-over networking cable by mistake!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Lol, glad I found this thread thanks for saving me the wear and tear of discovery. I just got one of these today for off cam hand held shooting. Yes, the manufacturer needs to update the description to include the fact that only one port is ETTL supported. I wonder why all three ports won't do this? Interference maybe? But anyway thanks all.</p>

<p>Pixel DS-801 PF-801 Pixel Grouping Componor<br>

Ok, finally had more time to play with this. It WILL do E-TTL on any of the three ports, but you have to select which one, with the selector switch on the back of the transmitter, (the A/B/C switch) A makes the A port E-TTL, B makes the B port E-TTL. etc. Since I only have one flash mount, though I have two cables and speedlights, a 430 EX and a 430EXII, I made a extra 25 foot cat 5 that works fine, I'm unable to check if more than one port will simultaneously support E-TTL. Well anyway, I put the trigger name to help others find this thread a little easier, hope this helps.</p>