Thoughts on upcoming Track Meet

dave_wilson1

<p>Hello PNet sports friends, I'm rarely in this forum, but I have a specific question I'd like to pose to you for your valuable insight. A ways back I used to shoot a lot of sports, mostly college, some pro, and a fair amount of track and field, all film/manual focus. Last year I was asked to help shoot our annual middle school track meet, and I did with two dig bodies D200s a 180 AF-D and my old trusty 400mm 3.5 Ais. I was really amazed at how well I did with the 400 being that it really had been a while since following runners and action stuff, plus I'm older and that lens didn't get any lighter. So, in three weeks I will be doing this again, same cameras, same two lenses. I thought I got a very good variety of the basic running and finishing shots, long jump and shot put throw. BUT, I want to try a few new perspectives, especially for the shot-put. Are there any thoughts some of you might have to take the basic shoot up a notch from the meat and potatoes. BTW, I'm only going to use those two lenses, I'm not carrrying any extra stuff, it's a big walk around for me. Thanks for any suggestions!</p>

<p>My recent strategy has become:<br /><br />1) Wear stuff that you actually <em>want</em> to get dirty.<br /><br />2) <em>Make</em> it dirty, by shooting while doing things like lying on the ground.<br /><br />For action stuff in particular, anything that produces an image from an unusual vantage point or non-standard point of view (like, lying on your belly in the dirt!) makes the images stand out. <br /><br />Also, buy a pair of good knee pads. Splurge. Get the $40 set instead of the $23 set. The kind with the really good gel inserts and decent fastening devices/hardware. Then<em> use</em> them - shoot from down low, and let those pads take over where your cartiledge gave up years ago. <br /><br />It's amazing how much more willing you'll be to quickly adopt more challenging shooting positions when it doesn't <em>hurt</em> to do so. Pre-emptive ibuprofen is a good thing, too. And stay hydrated so that you're not so fatigued and foggy-headed that you forget you have on knee pads and clothes you want to get dirty. :-)<br /><br />It may not suit you for the whole walk-around, but consider also bringing a short (4-foot?) lightweight step-ladder. Chain it up to a fence or something for the part of the day you won't use it, but get it out if you can once in a while, and see what it's like to look <em>down</em> more on something like a hurdle starting line, etc. <br /><br />That's my random thoughts for the day. Good luck! Did I mention ibuprofen?</p>

<p>I just want to second everything Matt said. And I'm laughing about the ibuprofen because at 51, I always use it during gymnastics meets. (I also carry Sudafed because of chalk in the gym. My husband makes sure I get water and caffeine!)</p>

<p>I recently saw some shot put images taken from under the athlete that were amazing. The photographer may have used a wide angle lens - I'm not sure - but I loved the perspective and was surprised how effective they were.</p>

<p>I hope you have fun. I've become sort of addicted to it!</p>

<p>Interesting, I keep trying to remember to get one of those ladders for my landscapes, a little height might work with your situation too. I should stop procrastinating. I've also thought of having a platform on top of my car/truck like Ansel Adams used to do.</p>

<p>If you are not already using a monopod for your 400/3.5 that would make shooting much easier on your shoulders/back. I'll have to remember the ibuprofen on my next outing with the 400/2.8 AIS, even just for carrying/backbacking it from the car. </p>

<p>HI DAve - Matt has many good pointers, as usual. I tell other photog students & newbies to get up high & get down low! I have a 3 step folding alum ladder that I got at Home Depot or Lowes. Check out what they have. top step should be a wide -more of a platform - than a regular step. When open, make sure that top 'rail' is far enough forward so you can stand there at comfortable position on the step while it gives you some support for balance. Some seemed to be too close to the center of that top platform. Oh, get the 4 step version, instead of the 3 step.<br>

Just noticed Matt's photo below of a shotgun shooter. How about trying some shots of shot putters from similar rear quarter. Try for a bit of face with his expression, and out stretched arm and the ball leaving his hand! Just might take a few shots and repositioning to get this one! Try both landscape & portrait positions. Check your DOF too to mack sure you have enough in-focus distance.<br>

Sounds like a fun shoot the more I think about it! Can you get to any practices before the meet? Good time to try out some things.<br>

God luck. Have fun. & Keep Shootin'!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes John, I might dig the pod out of the garage and oil it up, I didn't bother with it last year I just used the chain link fence and that was actually perfect. But, this year I think we're at a different field so I'll probably need the pod. And Steve, more good ideas to ponder 8-)) There are no formal practices, it's a one shot deal so that's why I'm doing the mental practice, which is fine, the actual shooting part is going to be smooth, I'm just thinking through some different concepts/approaches to get more variety and step the game up a little. Thanks gents!</p>

<p>Another thing to try: look at track and field photos people have taken and try to duplicate them. I'm a track and field athlete in addition to being a photographer. I found the <a href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/578390-lance-armstrong-and-the-top-20-tainted-sports-heroes-of-all-time/page/17">photo of Ben Jones at the '88 Olympics</a> to be photographically inspiring, even though it was certainly a low point for the sport (at least, in the US). We had a print of that image in the darkroom of my collegiate newspaper, and I always thought "man, what if I could make a photo like that?"<br /><br />In the years since then, I've managed to take two similar photos that are "good." One was during my collegiate tenure, and I got the other while attending a track meet up at UC Berkeley. They are both among the best sprinting photos I've taken, particularly because I had a particular kind of composition in mind, and when (by dumb luck) that composition happened, I was ready to nail the shot.<br /><br />In College: http://www.doppler-photo.net/img/s1/v46/p582046766.jpg<br />At Berkeley: http://web.mit.edu/~xsdg/www/pblog/2010-apr/caltrack/300_4410.jpg<br /><br />So this is all a long-winded way of saying that sometimes there's nothing like some good ol' inspiration. If you have a particular kind of frame in mind, your subconscious might just give you a tap on the shoulder at a point when making that frame yourself is actually a possibility.</p>

<p>With two bodies you have one for establishing shots and overall images and the longer lens for FACES. Get close and fill the frame.<br>

Shot put? How about a close in of just part of the facial grimace with part of the round ball cradled against the cheek/head? Close, tight and focused on expression.<br>

Work on individuals if possible while getting the overall shots you know will help tell the story.<br>

Don't forget coaches and officials either.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

You will all probably never believe, but a nasty sinus infection and some asthma, which I haven't had in 30 years

prevented me from shooting. Regardless, it was a great discussion and I appreciate your input and I spent a fair time

going over some of your suggestions.