Sand under focusing ring (Canon 50mm f/1.4)

porter

<p>I did some aerial shooting from a helo in the Sinai desert, but didn't think to put my camera in a plastic bag when landing/taking off, now I have sand caught under the focusing ring of my 50mm. Feels a bit gritty when I turn the ring- makes me cringe. Still works fine though, autofocuses fine too...</p>

<p>If I continue to use the lens with the sand in there, will it damage the focusing motor being that it has to work "against the grain"? Will it hurt the camera at all?</p>

<p>I have no ability to get this lens fixed for the time being, and suspect that repair will cost quite a bit. If it comes down to it, I'll just replace it with the 50mm f/1.8.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Patrick</p>

<p>Ps. Hate posts that have no pic ;)<br>

<a title="MCpl Alain Bosse by Patrick E Porter, on Flickr" href=" MCpl Alain Bosse src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/6958124173_dc789b3494_z.jpg" alt="MCpl Alain Bosse" width="640" height="426" /></a></p>

<p>I have got that same sand feeling in my 50 f1.4 before after working at a beach, it is still working years later though, so in my case there was no long term damage.</p>

<p>I see no way sand in your lens can damage your camera though, the only failure you can have due to this is the lens and a strip down and clean would probably cost you more than the lens is worth. There are detailed strip down instructions on the net so if you felt adventurous it might be fun to strip it down to a level where you could clean that dirt out yourself.</p><div>00aAJ9-451591584.jpg.57f2c9b780357225b280ee417ebe06be.jpg</div>

<p>For what it's worth!</p>

<p>"One grain of Sand can ruin or severely affect an internal combustion engine (as in your Automobile, Lawn Mower, Aircraft etc., etc..) if caught between the compression ring and the cylinder wall creating "scoring" and possible loss of compression and oil blow by!"<br>

But yet many engines survive in Desert and sandy Beach environments!</p>

<p>My 50 f/1.4 manual focusing ring has always felt a bit "gritty" to me compared to all my other lens!</p>

<p>I'd try to blow it out if I could, or maybe consider adding just a small drop of a good quality but thin Oil or appropriate lubricant under the focusing ring before I attempted to tear it down myself, but that's just me! Or, do as I have done and just keep using it.</p>

<div>00aAJm-451597584.jpg.0d758197060a1ed849510cf110a9ee36.jpg</div>

<p>I had to send one zoom lens out for repair because the zoom ring jammed. It worked fine at first (was just a little rough) but it got worse and then suddenly jammed. Your lens may or may not fail. It depends on how much sand got in and the design of the moving parts of the lens.</p>