Best Point & Shoot for 2012?

<p>I'm planning to purchase a point & shoot with the highest quality resolution along with optical zoom. I will be replacing a Canon G10 which was damaged and am looking to upgrade. Most other features and brand names are not priorities. </p>

<p>Perhaps there is no BEST camera in any category.<br>

Sony NEX-5N is pretty good, with the same or even better sensor than the Nikon D7000, and lower noise and less problems than NEX-7. Read DPReview, LuminousLandscape, and Rob Galbraith reviews.</p>

<p>In the Green color total automatic mode works as a point&shoot, but sometimes does not take full advantage of the great sensor features and hi ISO capability. I believe you could find a mode that would satisfy any usage. Expertise in DSLR usage helps to get what is the best from the NEX cameras. To use it as a pocket size camera, the pancake size 16mm lens is needed.</p>

<p>If you're willing to consider a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera as a point&shoot, look at an Olympus E-PL1 kit. The kit sells for $300 from the usual web sources, while a G12 is more like $440. The Olympus has a much larger sensor than the G12 and will outperform it at almost anything, and since it's got interchangeable lenses you can always add a telephoto or prime if you feel like it or even add an adapter for manual focus SLR lenses (Fotodiox brand adapters are perfectly good and sell for about $20 on Amazon). You can also buy a previous gen Sony Nex 5 kit from Keh.com for less than the cost of a G12.</p>

<p>Ed, if you look at the image on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format you can see the difference. The G10-11-12 are 1/1.7" sensors, the Olympus and Panasonic M4/3 cameras have Four Thirds size sensors and the NEX cameras are APS-C sensors. I have an S90, which has a sensor very similar to the G12, and an E-PL1, and the Olympus is much better in anything but very bright light. For example, I shot these with the Olympus: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/21616771@N04/sets/72157629279082521/ (everything but the first three are night shots, handheld with a Minolta 45mm f/2.0 manual focus lens and no flash - the lens and adapter can be had for about $60). I think you'd agree that you can't do that with a normal point&shoot.</p>