Which lens adapter for Nikon to NEX system

<p>I want to use My Nikon G series wide angle lenses on Sony NEX 7 , not teles. WIth G lenses there is difficulty to apeture control without aperture control ring but some adapters can change aperture also. <br>

There are many types of adapters starting from 13$ on Ebay to 480$. Some are 2" high while others 1/2". Pl tell what is real practical difference? Not theory only. All say lens will focus infinity. <br /><br /> At BxH Voigtlander Adapter for Sony E Mount Cameras--Nikon F Mount Lens (I think non G type) 180/ $<br />MTF Services Ltd-Nikon G to Sony E Mount Adapter=480$</p>

<p>Nikon needs to quit leaving off the aperture ring. They're shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing non-Nikon camera owners to use their lenses on other systems. I couldn't believe what a film maker paid me for my 18-35mm lens because he was having trouble finding a wide Nikon zoom with aperture control. I think I made money on the lens.</p>

<p>Nikon forces cash-payers to go and get the Nikon 1 (J1, V1) cameras instead of the NEX.</p>

<p>Nikon 1 with proper converter you can set aperture for AF-S lenses on the Nikon 1 cameras. On a good sunny day, you can certainly take advantage of a 2.8 / 200 x 2.7 long lens, and go and buy yourself a car or throw a party, for the money you saved on not paying for really long lenses...:)</p>

<p>Unlike what the previous posters imply, as far as I can find, there is little issue in using a G-lens on a NEX. Compatible adapters exist, even for decent prices. For items like these (usually unknown manufacterers with unclear websites), I tend to like actual customer reviews. Frequently it lists what was actually used and whether it works. So, googling around, found for example <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Including-E-mount-NEX-VG10/dp/B003Y2YE3A">these review</a>s. Product seems to have issues, but not for the fact that G-lenses would not work: several users claim clearly they used those and that it works fine in that respect.<br>

Otherwise, sorry, can't say why some are $13 and others 40 times that. Build quality will play a big part, I guess.</p>

<p>Thakurdalip, there are many adapters that will work. Cameraquest lists Rayqual and Voigtlander adapters, which are expensive but well-made. However, I would consider other options. Do you currently have a Nikon camera? Did you want the NEX for its smaller size? Considering that Nikon and Sony use the same sensors, you'd probably do better just sticking with one brand. For example, you can use the Sony LA-EA1 adapter and mount Sony alpha lenses. This will allow you to keep functions such as autofocus and aperture control, and to replace your Nikon DSLR, Sony has many comparable DSLRs, from entry-level to full-frame.<br>

Or, if you just wanted the image quality of the NEX, in a smaller package, chances are that the next round of Nikon DSLRs will be using this 24MP Sony sensor, with all of its image improvements. So maybe, if you're a D700 user, for example, consider getting yourself a D3100 or D5100 replacement, when they invariably come out this year since it's been almost two years since Nikon last updated their APS lineup. This will give you a smaller body that retains autofocus, VR, aperture control, EXIF data, etc. It's a significantly smaller package than a full-frame Nikon, and you can share lenses between the systems.</p>

<p>Michael, I don't agree with your statement, as even with my older AF and AF-D lenses, I still control the aperture through my Nikon bodies. I don't think increasing the cost of the lenses for consumers, plus having more moving parts and therefore more failure points (the aperture ring on my 300mm AF-D doesn't work any more) is worth having, just in case other people want to use Nikon lenses. They're keeping up rather well with technology, despite fewer announcements lately, which can be attributed to the flooding, tsunamis, etc. Heck, consider Canon lenses, which have fully electronic aperture control, so anyone wanting to use their lenses has to do so wide open. Honestly, this is business: screw the other guys. I don't know of any camera company that considers other company's users in their product designs.</p>

<p>If you really want an adapter, the reasons from the price discrepancy is because of whether the adapter has aperture control, and the build quality. The cheap sub-$30 adapters are manufactured with loose tolerances in a chinese factory. Some focus to infinity, some allow focus past infinity some fit great, some are too tight (either on the camera-mount side or the lens-mount side), and the more expensive ones use better materials to create the proper tension for lenses.</p>

<p>Thanks Aerial! for detailed reply.<br>

I want to shoot Infrared pictures with DSLR. Infrared effect cannot be seen in optical finder and even if I use live view not on LCD monitor in daylight . Thus, I want to buy any good DSLR camera with EVF for Infrared photography of landscapes. and convert camera for full time Infrared. For that camera I need lenses. Sony E lenses v limited range particularly wide zooms. Sony NEX 7 is only APSC size DSLR with EVF and contrast detect AF. A77 has not contrast detect AF thus is not suitable for AF when IR converted as told by a conversion company. <br>

AS per my knowledge no full frame DSLR is available with EVF , APSC size only Sony is availble. In Sony A77 and NEX 7 are candidates. I selected NEX 7.<br>

I have full line of Nikon lenses not a single in Sony camera /lens. I am buying Sony just for its EVF, not compactness. Otherwise I will stick to 1 system only.<br>

If you have any other options and suggessions pl write those also. </p>

<div>00aDh7-454989584.thumb.jpg.36a62209302c9e2d70523956250feb37.jpg</div>

<p>Consider this - although using your vintage lenses on a modern digital camera seems like a great idea and may even be your justification for purchasing a new digital camera, it is not fun. By that I mean trying to manually focus an old lens on a digital camera is, for some, a difficult or even impossible endeavor. I had the expensive Voigtlander adapter to use my old Nikon AIS lenses on the M4/3 cameras and finally reached the point where I had to ask myself "why am I bothering to do this when I have perfectly fine Lumix lenses". In other words, buy the cheapest adapter you can find and decide if you even want to go down that road. My adapter, along with a bag of other Nikon stuff was stolen out of my car so my problem was solved.</p>