Mounting Alphax #3?

drew bedo

<p>Hello All,</p>

<p>I am trying to find a flange or retaining ring to fit an Alphax #3 shutter. The thread specs are: 3.117 inch diameter and 30TPI. I am looking for a lower priced alternative to units available from Grimes and e-bay (fall-back plans B & C).</p>

<p>I am willing to re-purpose something in the short run. </p>

<p>Looking at SK Grimes site a #3 Alphax has a 1.98-30 thread and a #5 Alphax has a 3.117-30.<br>

There are a few get by tricks to mounting without a locknut or flange. <br>

1. With a wood lens board mount drill the mount hole slightly smaller than the minimum diameter of the threads, the unthreaded section of the shutter should just be able to be forced in. Soak the board in water for a few minutes then screw the shutter into the soft wood, it will be solid when the wood dries.<br>

2. With a metal board drill the hole so that the unthreaded section just fits through then screw the shutter into the board then wrap the threads with Graffers tape and secure with a black nylon cable tie.<br>

3. On a board with an existing mount hole that is slightly larger than the threaded section of the shutter wrap the threads with one to two layers of graffers tape then thread the shutter into the lens board.</p>

<p>Cloth duct tape might work but the standard duct tape will fail and leave a sticky mess to be cleaned up.</p>

<p>For multiple camera use mount on the smallest lens board and make adapters for the larger lens boards.</p>

<p>Charles: Thanks for the tips. I have used some of those expedient mounting technuques in the past with older ood-bal gear. this lens is a large-ish 15" Tele Raptar in a larg-ish shutter. It will go on a petite Wista/Zone VI. I want it to be both secure and good looking. </p>

<p>I tried it out on the camera by mounting it with a 77mm step-up ring. Worked well enough for familiurization at home, but the ring is really 1mm too big and it wasn't secure enough for field use. And so I am looking for something that is "right" but not freshly machined by the good folks at Grimes. They are my fall-back plan "B".</p>

• 5 months later...
<p>I mounted my Symmar 360mm f5.6 lens by making a clearance hole in the lens panel and then cut a length of rubber hose to just fit around the circumference of the threaded part. I used a "Terry" hose clip over the rubber tube, as I tightened it it squeezed the rubber against the rear of the lens panel making the whole thing very firm. It will come off easily when required unlike using tape.</p>