Ergonomics and the N5100 vs. N7000

falcon7

<p>I was leaning towards purchasing the N7000 until I handled it and the N5100 at an electronics store, and within one minute, I decided on the N5100. Let me know if this makes sense to you.<br>

I was on a college rifle team, and I had excellent accuracy when using a rifle that was ergonomically suited for me, i.e., the right weight, balance comfort of holding (both for brief time spans and lengthy ones). When I found the right model for me, my body just 'knew it' and you might say I became "one" with the machine. Thus, my accuracy was excellent over the short and long term.<br>

Now, when I handled the two Nikon models (actually three since there was commensurate model on display), I got that "human/machine sense of oneness"; for whatever reason, the ergonomics just felt perfect to <strong>me</strong>, as I held and shot the D5100 seamlessly with no perceptual body/arm/hand stress. This is important to me, particularly since I had arm/hand neurosurgury. I also have thin wrists (I guess) 7" circumference, although long arms (sleeve length 35 1/2) & am 6'2".<br>

For me the sturdiness factor seems moot, since I feel a lot more comfortable with the D5100, since I'm not afraid of dropping it, and handling it is a breeze. I'd rather have a 'flimsier' camera I don't drop than a 'sturdier' camera for which I need to do various contortionist tricks so as not to worry about it dropping. A related matter is that I figure any noise reduction advantage with the D7000 is moot (except maybe when using a tripod) since holding the d5100 zones me into a physical/psychical steadiness (not just subjectively--the images bear this out) BTW, I had the same reaction with my former 2 cameras (D40 & D200); after three years, I could never get acclimated to the d200 in terms of holding it comfortably whereas the D40 "fit like a glove."<br>

Without getting into the tiresome discussion of feature comparisons of these Nikon models in general (TTL, sensor point differences, pixel count, etc) , I think my self-analysis of the relationship of camera model to my unique stature, body type, etc., was a great learning experience, and am surprised it's not discussed as a factor when it comes to camera choice. </p>

<p>Any observations? Thanks.</p>

<p>We often recommend to newbies that they handle the cameras they are interested in and take into consideration the feel of the camera in their hands. Not everyone agrees that feel is important but many if not most do. I certainly consider it important. I have a D90 and a D3100 and I love both, but I use the D3100 much more because it is lightweight and fits my hands better.</p>

<p>I learned my lesson almost 40 years ago. Zoom lenses were just becoming popular and I was deciding between a Vivitar and a Soligor. I liked the zoom range of the Soligor better but the Vivitar was lighter and balanced better. The salesman recommended the Soligor since I liked the zoom range better. He told me that I'd get used to the weight and balance (it was a real artillery piece). Well, I never did, and in those days I couldn't afford to sell it and get the Vivitar for several years. The lens became an expensive paper weight.</p>

<p>I think how it fits in your hands is a HUGE factor, and it's why I shoot Nikon and not Canon. (I like the feel of the higher end Olympus 4/3 stuff the best, but wouldn't get into that system, and I like Pentax, too.)</p>

<p>Years ago I had two Pentax bodies, one an AF with all the whiz-bangs (their top of the AF line at that time) and the other a humble 30-year old MX.</p>

<p>I shot with the MX almost exclusively, because it "fit" me. So I took better pics.</p>

<p>Just make sure that you can live without some of the goodies that are not in the 5100 but are in the 7000, like CLS control, DoF preview, metering support for MF lenses, etc.</p>

<p>When the D7000 was released I was drooling over its specs (and was considering overlooking some of the shortcomings compared to a D300) - but it all became moot when I handled one in the store for the first time (and I went back two or three times because I refused to believe it). Aside from the flat (gripless) film bodies, the D7000 took first place for poor ergonomics for every Nikon camera I ever handled (and I handled a lot in 30+ years). I eventually narrowed it down to a combination of the camera body not being wide enough (height and thickness weren't the issues) and that the grip is too narrow and too square; in addition, the space between grip and lens/lens mount is too tight. Rather than fitting in the palm of my hand, I needed to "pinch" the camera with the tips of my fingers. Just playing with it in the store for a few minutes made my right hand hurt. Needless to say that the camera features did no longer factor into my non-purchase decision. I actually had to handle my D200 and D300 afterwards just to confirm that I hadn't been wrong about the poor ergonomics of the D7000.</p>

<p>I never liked the "feel" of the D80/D90 - but the that had nothing to do with the camera bodies' ergonomics. I had to check and was surprised to find that a D70 was actually slightly wider than a D80/D90/D7000 - and I didn't have problem with its ergonomics. I can even handle the smaller D3100/D5100 bodies without the hand stress the D7000 caused me. My only hope is that with the D300/D300S successor Nikon will not succumb to the miniaturization mania that apparently guided the D7000 design.</p>

<p>The D7000 is not a comfortable camera to hold without the vertical grip. Where it gets even more ridiculous is that with the grip attached, holding the camera vertically is much more comfortable than holding it horizontally, because the vertical grip is bigger around and slightly more curved. I don't know why Nikon felt they had to reinvent the wheel from the proven F100/F5 body style, but with the D80/90/7000 they have. I also don't know why they couldn't have simply designed the standard grip to match the shape of the vertical one. </p>

<p>Apparently they've now done something similar with the D800 as well; a grip that's too shallow and too square. Insane.</p>

<p>The feel of a camera in hand is a very important feature that I think is often underrated. I am using a D7000 these days - it works well for me. But I think your reason for selecting the D5100 over the D7000 is very sound. You also have a camera that is smaller and lighter and has better video capabilities than the D7000. Enjoy it, and take lots of great pictures and videos.</p>

<p>I have a D7000 and enjoy it, but it's limited to tripod use. I'm glad to see others confirm my feeling that the body is not ergonomic. That said, for a landscape camera on a tripod it's a really good performer (with the right lenses) and has the right features IMO.</p>

<p>For a camera to carry around I'd prefer something around the size of my old FE or perhaps an N80. Others much prefer cameras the size of a D300. Just goes to show you how individual ergonomics can be.</p>