first D800 images

ilmilco

<p>Dear fellow photographers,<br>

yesterday was the day, D-day.<br>

I was in the mood to make the first pictures with my D800.<br>

I went to Limburg, south part of the Netherlands, unfortunately the weather was gray, but no rain fortunately.<br>

In the end of the afternoon i ended up with one of my friends at Margraten War Cemetary, i have taken pictures there several times before. I just took a few shots to test the D800, and arriving at home i was impressed with the new beast, to say the least. Please notice that we as photograpers also do consider this location as holy grouds, and try to express this in our pictures. </p>

<p>The are 2 images i would like to share with you.<br>

One is the complete picture, and one is a detail.<br>

When we viewed the image at first, we thought there was a dust particle in the image, when zooming in to 100% it proved to be an insect.<br>

I hope people will appreciate the attached picture, made with 70-200 2.8 VR I, at 110mm wide open.</p>

<p> </p><div>00aKVS-461951584.thumb.jpg.0174a00501f3bf9c32aa645e2ab53c22.jpg</div>

<p>On the insect pic, there's a 'blur-fringe' above the top horizontal edge of the grave marker....about 3mm maybe. There doesn't appear to be one on the left edge, although the background makes it harder to see. Is that a trace of vertical motion blur? Was it on a tripod? Could it be in the shutter speed range of mirror bounce?</p>

<p>EDIT... Just found EXIF data 1/800 @ ISO 100 @ f2.8... no flash.... So what's the blur?</p>

<p>It's got quite a sharp edge, but I think you're right. There's a hint of back focus, I think the grass behind the cross is slightly sharper.</p>

<p>I might have gone for f4 with the cross being at the back if the depth of field, so maybe lock focus on the front of the wreath? The increase in contrast, and decrease in aberrations, would have made the cross stand out even more from the background.</p>

<p>Shall have to look at the bank account, the D800 has resolution to spare... and would allow me to do more 'after-capture' cropping to correct my poor composition!</p>