B & J 8x10 Grover and Carl Meyer Test

allancobb

<p>Hello All,</p>

<p>About a year ago I acquired (it was a good deal) a well-used but completely functional 8x10 Burke and James Grover monorail with a 305mm f/4.5 Carl Mayer Anastigmat. As I have read here and elsewhere, both the camera itself and the Carl Meyer Anastigmat have mixed reviews. Recently, I finally had an opportunity to put it through some paces at a nearby farm that is about to disappear. The film used was Arista.Edu Ultra 100 and the lens was stopped down to f/22 if I remember correctly. After I processed the film, I scanned a 35mm wide section of the negative, since with my old Agfa Snapscan scanner that's all it can "see."</p>

<p>In my opinion I was pleasantly surprised with the level of definition provided by the lens, but with my so far limited experience in large format, I may be wrong. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>And speaking of scanners, are there any relatively cheap flatbed scanners capable of scanning 8x10 negatives or transparencies? I know a lot of folks use the Epson V700 but so far it's a little out of my price range. Are there any older model Epson or other scanners on the used market that are 8x10 capable for under $200? Thanks in advance, Allan</p><div>00aBlI-452991584.thumb.jpg.75ae5d6f7ca03b37e1683f41dbd0138a.jpg</div>

<p>I know, sorry about the scan, it was the best I could do with the tools at hand. And so far, the Epson 4990 seems to satisfy the 8x10 requirement, thanks! I'm actually going to use it today to shoot some interiors of the National Building Museum great hall in DC for some further exercise.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Ok, I finally found myself an Epson 4990 scanner so I could scan up to 8x10! So I scanned the same negative, and cropped the top and bottom somewhat, originally saved as a TIFF and scaled it down as a JPEG to keep the file size reasonable. So now here's the same image, but a little better view than my earlier attempt. Once again, I was happily surprised as to the capability of this particular Carl Meyer lens, given the varied reviews I've seen. Am I missing anything? Cheers, Allan</p><div>00aHYN-458753584.thumb.jpg.fd7f25a75e77a4e767c767b088740d43.jpg</div>

<p>Here's another test using the 4x5 reducing back for the camera using E100VS of the Great Hall in the National Building Museum, Washington, DC. Please excuse the blown out highlights up by the windows... work in progress! Thanks</p><div>00aHYv-458759684.thumb.jpg.f38245dc2de33a52dd324ea345c8eda2.jpg</div>