Quote I heard who uses both Canon and Nikon "I use Canon for weddings, but I would never use Canon in a studio, only Nikon"

dennisgg

<p>Well I have been shooting both for a few years, so I can say for sure that there is no merit to the remark. I stopped shooting Nikon recently simply because I couldn't afford to shoot both, and most of my higher end glass was on the Canon side. Each has it's good and bad points, both system will each do the job very well.</p>

<p>(Note to self: Don't talk to salespeople at Ritz in MA)</p>

<p>I worked at a Ritz store in the Pittsburgh area in the early 1970s when we all used film, and many of us souped our own E6, C41 and B&W films.</p>

<p>The shocker was walking into the local Ritz store about 10 years ago with a couple rolls of 120 Fuji E6, I got a peculiar look since it wasn't in a 35mm canister. I also got a price quote for development of $1 per frame, no prints or contact sheet, since it was (10) 6X7 shots per roll and they charged $10 a roll.</p>

<p>At least Eddie Ritz admired some competence in his staff back then.....</p>

<p>To me any camera's performance is noticed most when NOT in the studio. Sports or Weddings will create many more adverse situations where your camera needs to make smarter decisions. In studio I can use any old manual slow camera and be fine because the situation is as perfect as can get. In studio I can shoot with a camera phone and make it look like I shot with a Nikon or Canon. I.E. tripod with 1000 W/s of light.</p>

<p>Peter J said </p>

<blockquote>

<p>And you feel it is necessary to perpetuate the meaningless "fight" on this forum? You are better off spending your time perfecting your photographic skills.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wasn't meaning to perpetuate the "fight" and I try to perfect my photographic skills as much as possible with the very limited free time I have (as I am a computer network engineer that travels and works rather long hours). I just posted it because I thought it was a very odd thing to say that the photographer would use his "substandard" equipment on weddings, but save the better equipment for the studio. I could see the using a DSLR format for weddings because of speed, hand holdability, speed of lenses, low light, higher ISO abilities, etc. and a medium or larger format in the studio, but when they are both DSLR's of same sensor size.<br>

I was just making conversation as I thought that was what forums are about. I would have posted about it if the person swapped the brands around because it doesn't make sense. I am sorry I posted about it. </p>

<p>Dennis, not to worry, I don't think you were wrong to post. It has made for interesting conversation :)</p>

<p>The other day I was at a Best Buy where I heard a sales rep proceed to explain to a potential buyer that the 60D they were selling had a Micro 4/3 sensor while the 7D next to it was full frame. Go figure :)</p>

<p>If I were you, I wouldn't be sorry about posting the question - it was probably an important learning experience for a number of readers besides yourself. If nothing else, the ensuing discussion helps us overcome the notion that one brand is good for something while the other isn't'. There are choices to be made when it comes to doing different types of shooting, but these choices are not about brand.</p>

<p>I'm fond of saying that of all the choices you'll make as a photographer, the choice of brand is probably just about the least important you'll ever make.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Dennis,</p>

<p>for some more perspective, I was in my local Jessops (a UK camera shop chain) a while back, to buy my 7D: a sales person was dealing with another prospective 7D buyer who was asking about DSLR video.</p>

<p>The shop assistant said, without a hint of irony but in full-on Nikon fanboy (well, fangirl), mode:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>DSLR video is just a Canon gimmick - that's why you're better off buying a Nikon...</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>This was the same week the news broke that an entire episode of House had been filmed on a 5D Mk II.</strong></p>

<p>Moral of the story? People who work in camera shops are as full of crap as any other subset of humanity, and just as likely to talk out of their backsides as anyone else.</p>

<p>The difference with camera shop workers is that people assume that they're <em>not</em> likely to be full of crap, so it behoves us to be intelligent customers and not take a single word from a camera seller at face value.</p>

<p>Q.E.D. -- Some people work in camera shops because they are passionate about photography, while others don't care what they do, to pay the mortgage. Although I must admit, I will use Stanley tools to put up a shelf, but to work on bathroom plumbing, I only use Sears Craftsman. ;)<br>

It might be fun to go back to that same Ritz saleswoman, and say you are serious about upgrading your Canon DSLR to a Hasselblad H4D or Phase One, for studio work, and see what rationale she would come up with, to steer you toward Nikon. (The D800 may offer 36MP, but if it really did rival medium-format digital image quality, I do not think Nikon would be so foolish as to sell it at a price point so far below the medium-format alternatives.)</p>

<p>Either brand is more than capable of producing great results in the studio or for weddings in the right hands. Furthermore the constant debates about which brand is better can get tiresome.<br>

The only major difference between Canon and Nikon that I see is that Canon is better in nearly every respect and that Nikon sucks big time.</p>