Do i need to redo my photos?

<p>I downloaded my photos to my Toshiba laptop using Nikon transfer and view nx and the pictures was straight but when i went to edit them using photoimpact pro13 (i know i need LR or PS) they was sideways and i had to rotate them straight to edit them.<br>

They looked good on my computer (not as good as when they was sideways but still good) but when i made a cd and played it on the tv they looked horrible and sideways again.<br>

So this is a two part question i guess:<br>

1: Did i mess them up by turning them sideways to edit them and need to scrap the old and redo them or can i simply rotate them back and make another cd?<br>

2: After i fix them will they look as good on the TV as they do on my comp or is that just a tv problem?</p>

<p>Most likely PhotoImpact Pro (did not realise the program still existed) does not recognise the orientation tag, which tells whether the photo was taken in Landscape or Portrait orientation, while ViewNX can recognise this, at least from Nikon cameras.<br>

And it looks the playback program of the CD recognises it too, only to undo the change you made manually... So the way i see it, you should not change orientation when editing them. Ideally, indeed, get a program that can understand the orientation. It does not have to be Lightroom or Photoshop, maybe starting for free with Paint.NET or similar can already resolve the problem.</p>

<p>Whether they look as good on the TV is hard to say - the quality and resolution of the TV matters, the quality of the DVD player doing the playback too. Most of the times I saw it, the quality is disappointing.</p>

<p>Thanks Wouter i'll try that.<br>

So did I mess these up already buy doing that (rotating them, then cropping and editing)? or will they be fine if i rotate them back?, basically is the dmage to these already been done.<br>

I still have the originals so should I scrap the ones i already did and redo after i get another program?<br>

Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>Yes, the auto rotate thing can be a pain. I always suggest that this is turned off in the camera and any rotation be done in editing.<br>

Mind you, I seem to have a problem with photos taken with my new iPad. I transferred some to my pc for the first time yesterday and when first viewed using Faststone they were upside-down! I rotated them 180deg and that was fine but the thumbnails are still showing them upside-down. This is probably an Apple/iPad thing so I am going to have to look around at how best deal with it.</p>