Help with photographing older woman in boudoir and nude.

john_e2

<p>I've been contacted by a woman in her early 60's who would like glamour, boudoir and possible nudes done. I've done this type of photography before but never with someone this mature. I need help on this one. Does anyone have any ideas, sample pictures I can take a look at, a book etc. If this helps, I'd say she's maybe 5'2" DD's on top, waiste slightly large than her hips (not an hour glass figure) looks to be maybe 150lbs. overall she looks good for being 60, but is much older than anyone for whom I've done this type of work. any ideas, tips, pics etc would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>I would be most concerned about her attitude and how realistic she is--do you know her well or is this someone out of the blue? Expectations have to be in-line with reality or your shoot will be a disaster.</p>

<p>Even with younger models, you have to move them and pose them in ways that their bodies end up being rendered best--standard poses work when you have a standard body. Older woman often look much younger when they lay down, face up. Gravity provides a nice facelift, for instance. You can probably achieve something similar if she is reclining and you shoot from over her--on a ladder or step stool. Other parts of the body might not fare as well in that pose, you're going to have to see.</p>

<p>But I think I would want to meet with her and really find out what she is thinking and her own level of realistic expectations. You can't win when someone has an unrealistic view of who/what they are.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You may want to light her with a flatter light so that you don't run the chance of emphasizing wrinkles and skin imperfections. Other than that, she knows she doesn't look like a twenty something. Many people are very comfortable with their current image and want to flaunt it. Think about the 300 pound girl who loses 112 pounds, sure she's still overweight to current standards, but she just may be thinner than ever before and is very proud of her new size. Do your job and photograph the person hiding their flaws and embellishing her assets - let them worry about their age, weight etc. BTW I notice more insecurity in the women who are early to mid twenties and while they probably look better physically there is nothing like confidence to make a woman sexy....<br>

Talk about the shoot and show her some example images of how the image will look. Once you start shooting, best to show her a couple of images to reassure her and get some feedback to what she likes or what she may be concerned about...</p>

<p>You've been given some good advice. Here's an alternative to consider . . .</p>

<p>Find a compelling and attractive way both to LOOK at and SEE her. YOU need to do this, not her.</p>

<p>Then photograph that point of view. DON'T use a lot of Photoshop, don't MAKE her beautiful, or attempt to make her 20 years younger. Sorry, dear men, but 60-year-old women ARE BEAUTIFUL just as they are. When you can figure that out, when you can really see it and feel it, you'll be able to photograph her. If you can't, send her to someone who can. Try being authentic and open. It can work as well as lipstick and rouge.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Fred G: Boudoir photography is genre, not art. You are absolutely correct about how the photographer must view the subject, but you don't know how she views herself. I never met an older woman who protested at heavy retouching. </p>

<p>I see what you mean, Les. In a way, I suppose, I am questioning the genre. Maybe not really the genre, as I understand exploring persona, theatrics, etc. But I would question its use and effect in at least some cases. On some level, the attempt (which will often fail) to make someone look 20 years younger will be a big disappointment all around. It can be damaging. As John says, realistic expectations might make things a whole lot healthier. IMO, "boudoir" is one of those tough genres that, when executed well, can be a real treat. When not, it can be objectifying and demeaning. I think some of my original advice was in hopes of forestalling the latter, even if make-up and flattering lighting are going to be used effectively.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>You can get a good idea about how a woman views herself by the way she dresses. If she dresses like a younger woman that is how she views herself. Just like a guy with a bad comb-over sees himself as Favio with flowing locks. My strategy is to show the wrinkles but make them less defined. Create a layer in photoshop where you have removed the wrinkles almost entirely and then dial back the transparency until they reappear and she looks younger but still natural. </p>

<p>Then deny you used Photoshop at all and just say it is good technique, makeup and lighting. >G> <br>

Always let her maintain her illusions.</p>

<p>People develop folds (aka flab) in their midsection quite easily. Without looking at her, I can predict there is a high chance she will have those. This is common even with younger women who are a little overweight. It is also likely that her top and bottom are not in shape (despite what the size or external appearance may lead you to believe).</p>

<p>The best thing is to try "implied" nude with such person. A full nude, or tight lingerie will not work and will only accentuate the issues. Use bed sheets, scarves, newspapers, pieces of clothing to hide the unsightly portions while still showing enough to entice the viewer.</p>

<p>You should experiment with different position lying (on side, on back, or on stomach) and find crops which works for that particular pose. Use selective lighting (if you have modifiers, such as snoot). I can't imagine a good pose standing (unless you have some really large/thick props to pose her with). Sitting, positions will only work in conjunction with either some larger prop, or selective lighting, or creative implied (such as reading newspaper which hides bulk of the body).</p>

<p>Let us know how it goes.</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>In addition to having her made up, and posed to emphasize her attributes to best effect, and having her hair done up in a permanent, or otherwise done well, use diffuse lighting to soften shadows, and make wrinkles vanish. A screen-white plastic, or fabric-over your flash heads will help. This also makes zit scars seem to vanish. If you can afford it, get some pro studio lights with diffusing screens. If you are on a budget, use as many accessory flash units-of the type that go on top of cameras-as you can round up, and put clean white hankies over their heads, and hold the hankies in place with rubber bands.</p>